2017 BMW 3 Series $600/month?

I have a dealer telling me: “you keep talking about sale price, but in Leasing that is irrelevant.” Is this true? Sorry, new to leasing, and I thought one of the keys to leasing WAS to negotiate the sale price of the vehicle? I also used the lease hackr calculator and sent them my numbers and I was told “don’t know where you are getting these payment either. Even with my employee price plan for myself I cannot get that kind of payment.” Am I doing something wrong, or have I misunderstood something?

“Irrelevant” in the same way as any item you finance. Higher price - higher payments with everything else being the same.

You really have to read up on how to negotiate a lease. He is partially correct in that the sale price is “irrelevent” at the end because all you need at the end of the day is

1. What is my monthly payment?

2. How much Do I need to give you in cash/ upfront?

3. If I add up all my monthly payments and the cash up front, what is the total cost of this lease? for instance my lease is $24,000 I will paying to drive a car around for 3 years.

Essentially those are the things that we all need to know at the most basic level to compare each others leases.

HOWEVER

As there are so many variables in the equation to get those 3 numbers above we ask a bunch of other questions that we can compare against so we know what the best deal is. I’m going to use the selling price as an example. It matters because if of the following:

You are looking at a car that has an MSRP: $50,000
I’m looking at the same car that has an MSRP of: $50,000

Your dealer gives you a selling price of $45,000
Mine gives me a selling price of $40,000

we can assume that your dealer should be able to go as low as my dealer correct?

It’s not as simple as that but when we get the other things we asked for and we put them all together it helps paint the picture.

Last thing I want to say is this:

Tell the dealer that you don’t care for his explenation on why you cannot have what you asked for. If you ask for something please give it to you as something that may be irrelevent to him may be relevent to you. Simple as that. If he starts whining again then walk out.

1 Like

Call it “cap cost” instead of “sales price” to please him. You really should read up on the basics of leasing though so you can fend them off better.

1 Like

Thanks everyone - this is new to me, so I admit there is a lot of terminology that I need to brush up on.
Appreciate everyone’s feedback though. I’ll know how to better negotiate a lease with the next dealer.

If the dealer is ripping you off at some point it becomes irrelevant what the sales price is.
He is basically saying I can quote the same monthly and upfront with different sales price. This is possible by marking up money factor. I guess your answer should be that you have the base money factor and residual for the car and need the sales price to calculate your payments. Also tell them you are comparing your quotes based on sales price.

There’s no point even countering such an insulting offer

1 Like

This means he is a really bad salesperson. On the other hand, it is entirely possible that the folks here can get better deals than most BMW salespeople …

Lol - “high maintenance” costs money but it is who you are so enjoy your perfect car!

no car is perfect… If it had android auto and a flat bottom steering wheel like the audi’s I looked at THEN it would be perfect!

Base Mf if .0014 this month so they can’t give .0013, can do MSD’s but even then it would not come out to your number.

Woops, that math thing always gets me