2016 Passat SE vs. 2017 Accord EX

I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on a lease and having a tough time deciding between the following two cars:

2016 Passat SE - $320 per month (including NJ tax), $0 due at signing, 15 k per year. Don’t have a final sale price on the car - just the bottom line quote.
2017 Accord EX w/sensing - $305 per month (including NJ tax), $700 total due at signing including first month’s payment, 15k per year. I know the sale price on this car is $24,100 ($27,900 MSRP).

I know I could do a little better on a 2016 Accord EX but they’re tough to find. I’ve been going back and forth for a while. Major considerations:

1. Gas mileage
  2. Safety features
  3. Ride quality
  4. Overall comfort

Any thoughts on the proposed deals and the cars themselves are appreciated!

Passat has pretty bad residuals, so you’d need a decent discount to make up for it.

Neither of those look like great deals.

Try to also get the mf and residual so you can pinpoint what’s causing the price to be so high and what can be done to get it down.

For the Accord - Edmunds seems to say that the money factor is .00070 and the residual is 56% for 36 months/15k. That makes me believe the payment should be about $280 including taxes but not including doc fees/licensing and registration. Feels like I might be leaving about $20 -$25 per month on the table - will ask them to “show their work”.

strong textemphasized text[quote=“FickleLeaser, post:1, topic:4524, full:true”]
I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on a lease and having a tough time deciding between the following two cars:

2016 Passat SE - $320 per month (including NJ tax), $0 due at signing, 15 k per year. Don’t have a final sale price on the car - just the bottom line quote.
2017 Accord EX w/sensing - $305 per month (including NJ tax), $700 total due at signing including first month’s payment, 15k per year. I know the sale price on this car is $24,100 ($27,900 MSRP).

I know I could do a little better on a 2016 Accord EX but they’re tough to find. I’ve been going back and forth for a while. Major considerations:

1. Gas mileage
  2. Safety features
  3. Ride quality
  4. Overall comfort

Any thoughts on the proposed deals and the cars themselves are appreciated!
[/quote]

The Accord - you could get a 16 TLX for the same price. Same car…but much, much nicer.

The Passat - LOL you can buy one of those dogs for <$20k (27k MSRP). So the deal is lousy.

Edumunds says .00015 and 45% or 46%. $3750 lease cash. Using the calculator, your should be well under $200/month with zero drive-off!

Thank you! This is terrific! I can’t seem to get the calculator to accept changes to mileage (stuck at 12k) but this is a great start and should be compelling.

Wow! Good to know - haven’t seen as many good offers on the TLX lately - it’s a little smaller than the accord and doesn’t ride as softly but I’d still consider it.

As for the Passat - now that’s really interesting - I found a dealer that has the exact one I’d like marked down to $22,000 on the website. If I’m doing the math correctly - once you factor the lease cash in - it’s about $170 per month including 7% tax / plus inception fees. That seems too good to be true - can anyone confirm getting a similar deal?

If the Passat ends up being $100 less per month than the Accord, this will be an easy decision. There’s something I really like about the Passat - and unlike the Accord, it won’t be redesigned in a year.

The Passat may be including some incentives or manufacturer to dealer discounts that only apply when financing. Email the dealer and ask for a breakdown of the price and discounts.

So - the Passat is likely out. While the sale prices are super low on 2016s, the residuals have dropped to 43% for 36 months/15k per year. By the time you factor in fees, it’s actually something like $340 per month.

That said, this made the decision easier and I’m hoping to leverage the Weymouth ad on an Accord EX-L (decided against Honda Sense since it seems to get bad reviews - and all EXs have the lane change camera - would rather have leather/heated seats) - for under $300 per month all-in. Thanks for all of the help - stay tuned!

Yes I’m going for a 2017 Accord Sport SE using the Weymouth ad as well , good luck!

Update: Went in. Usual 1 hour of clandestine back and forth. Bottom lone: Dealer won’t match Weymouth. His best offer on 2017 exl was $322/36/15k with $1090 to start. Weymouth was $298/36/15k $780 to start. I even offered to split the difference and they still let me walk.

They said that Weymouth - a MA dealer - must not be properly accounting for start up fees in NJ but I felt like I would be leaving money on the table if I took their offer. The total cost difference would have been close to $1000 so something doesn’t add up

Was prepared to sign today but I’m honestly in no rush and November offers will likely be better. We will see if they call me back.

1 Like

Wonder how much a one way to Boston would be , probably would still save money , I’ve heard of people in here finding great deals in other states and going there and driving home

Honestly, it’s still not a great deal for the Accord. Why not just purchase it? Great residual value and expensive leases make Hondas a better purchase, generally.