2016 BMW X5 50i lease swap (Leasehackr Score 8.2)

Yes, you should lease a new one if you want a full lease commitment. The beauty of a lease swaps are that they can be used to fit a gap between cars or lifestyle situations, etc. If you’re shopping for an aggressive deal for a lease swap, then I suggest that is an error in evaluation process. A current lessee is not in the same position to eat money as a dealer.

1 Like

Great deal and beautiful car

If you were to get a used/CPO’d one for $60-$65k and attempted to lease it, the payment wouldn’t be close to the 1% rule ($650/month). Just take a look at this lease attempt of a CPO’d BMW.

1 Like

I didn’t even know you could lease a used car. Those numbers don’t make financial sense at all.

Good points, I appreciate the sentiment here. No one is holding a gun to anyone’s head on these deals on either side. If someone needs to get out of a lease they might be in a position to lose their MSDs instead of making another $18k in payments to get out now. Some might think it’s better to throw away $7k than 18k for a car you don’t need. Everyone’s motivations are different I guess.

Your point about flexibility resonates though. Move in and out of leases with shorter terms and small out of pocket for about the same monthly payment as a new one…you are paying for some of the flexibility and shorter term in exchange for a used vehicle. That may be a fair trade if it’s important to you.

For me, personally, it’s not worth it over a brand new car without a kicker. (and yes, there’s a $150 kicker in this deal on top of what was a good new car lease), so I’m not saying the deal is horrible by any means. Interesting to get the perspective from people spending their money.

1 Like

I wonder why would you ever consider hiring a broker? They (at least some on LH, whom you apparently consider hiring) cost money, which adds to the lease cost. With your frugality…

All good everyone. I know the deal I have isn’t the holy grail. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It seems the consensus is that this is a decent deal :slight_smile: So if you’re interested and want to discuss further, please do shoot me a PM.

Thanks!

1 Like

I think you just have to ask yourself whether you want to buy a used 50i, or lease one.

Would you rather lease a used loaded 50i @ $850/ month,
Or A new, similarly optioned, 50i @1k per month.

I started to visit this site about a year ago, and most posters usually bash the horrible deal that’s being posted. In this case, a few people think the payment is fair. Usually a sign that the deal is decent.

@rybocf the residual value of the car is $54,382.30.

@Justlooking Those are really the only two options. You’re not going to lease a used one at the 1% rule as it’s already been pointed out. You either assume a lease for the price that is negotiated with someone like myself OR you try to get a similarly optioned one at $1K per month. Which I don’t think is super difficult, but it’ll be a challenge.

I haven’t looked myself, but I think it’d be very difficult to find a 16 right now that’s coming off of lease that will be 60-65K or CPO’d. It’s just not that cycle yet, and it will be starting I believe the end of this year? That’s when they sort of come back on the market and they go pretty quickly, but again, no where near $650 a month for a 60-65K car when purchasing. That’s a monthly payment of $1100 at least.

I think the problem here is how this deal is being evaluated. You’re not leasing the car “used”. You’re not taking the depreciated value on. The vehicle belongs to BMWFS. You have no obligation to it except insurance and to return it in an orderly fashion. So to say that it’s “used” and the therefore the cost should be significantly lower is flawed logic. Purchasing and leasing need to be separated out here. I’ll have people lined out the door at $650 a month

1 Like

@Ursus - Two reasons. I value my time over the effort it takes to get the really good deal, and two, I know that a broker will probably be able to get a better deal than I can. I get sick of it after a while and end up leaving some $$ on the table. Funny, I don’t consider myself frugal, I spend too much money. I do like to get good value for it though…

@rybocf I’m the same way. I had another thread where people told me I was crazy for looking for a good deal on something fast and fancy. And then I found a pretty nutty deal on the car I’m retaining, which I posted about last night.

The consensus still remains that the deal I’ve proposed is quite solid. So again, if anyone is interested, please shoot me a PM. And if you’re interested in the wheels I’m sure we can strike a deal. Would need to take pictures of the curbing on two of the installed ones though, but I do have two brand new ones (total 6).

Thanks all for your comments and insights. Finding a good deal is already hard enough, so I was skeptical posting here to try and sell my lease.

1 Like

I applaud @Kos for keeping his cool through much of the nonsense here.

@Kos the issue here is the price point, most people on this forum want $300 C-Classes, or at the most a $500 Hellcat…your price point at $1000 is not what people here want except maybe @Phantomcypher.

I think you’ve been more than fair and open to suggestions.

2 Likes

@305Hackr - Agreed. No one ever learns anything by simply agreeing with everyone. I like hearing different opinions, valuations, options, etc. I always gain some new insight. I certainly did not mean to offend anyone or tell anyone they were wrong in this discussion.

And yes, I read this forum to get the best deal possible…that kind of goes without saying. You don’t know if you don’t try…

@305Hackr Precisely! And funny enough, I picked up this 50i RIGHT as @Phantomcypher was looking to get rid of his X5 M lease, because boy I would have picked that thing up…

Nothing for me to get upset about really. Just discussion. The more meaningful discussion that happens the more people get educated. At the end of the day, yes, I have 2 car payments over $1,000… and I realize that is no where near what people spend on cars. So this is certainly not for everyone.

I will freely admit I know little about the x5 50i but his deal seems shockingly similar to the m3 deal we rightfully roasted, Minus the 3k downpayment he quickly admitted was not required. Granted the op seems to be a fully functioning adult unlike the m3 bro Dbag. But what am I missing?

Its $100 cheaper than the M3, and these cars, frankly, don’t lease well. Considering this very high sticker its a pretty good deal for the truck. I know you got a 35i for like 650 p/m, this car is 25k more

1 Like

@conanohasselhof as @nyclife mentioned, these don’t lease well. I’d encourage anyone interested to call a dealer with a loaded 50i and work a lease on it. I think that would speak for itself even.

I try to function :slight_smile:

1 Like

Using the same tax rate on both your car is about 0.994% and his is 0.925% of msrp. So in terms of deal his is better (granted there are msds).Tax rate used was the OP’s 7.25%. So you are paying more for this car, but you are getting a LOT more car.

Yeah I wasn’t comparing his to mine, but I guess I just view the m3 (incorrectly aparently) as a harder car to get a good lease on than any non-m x5. The broker I used is not able to get me anywhere near the deal on an m3 as he was on x5, and since it’s a non-m I assumed he would be able to a relatively similar deal on $90k x5 or a $70k.

Who wants some DHP? :slight_smile: