2015 A6 Lease w/Neg Equity - looking at s90 or Volt

Hi, this board is amazing & I wish I had found it sooner. After some embarrassingly bad lease deals, (my A6 included) I feel informed enough to negotiate a good price on either a Volvo s90 or Volt. My question is - which car lease makes most sense to roll the negative equity into? Is there another vehicle I should consider? I have 14 payments left at $653 on the Audi. I somehow ended up with a 42 month lease on it and now I’m over my miles, the car needs new brakes, etc. and my finances are not what they once were. I’ve got notes from the s90 threads with @Ursus and @vhooloo and I’ve been in touch with @chevysalesgirl who has been super helpful, but I just want to double check w/the experts before I make a move. (Also, I’m driving my husband nuts waffling over this decision.) Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

I feel like the two cars you’re targeting offer greatly different experience and payments to go along with it.

Since finances are an issue, I’d suggest the Volt since the negative equity will be a lot.

Neither - you should avoid keep rolling negative equity from one car to the next. But, considering that Volvo S90 pull-ahead will compensate you for 6 months x $653 = $3,918 AND there is up to $7,700 cash or XC90 has $3,500 conquest with no strings attached - I’d say try either of them.

But S90 and Volt are completely different cars with completely different payments, you know that

Ursus - OP mentioned us in the same sentence as the luminaries of leasehacking - Man, OP is still making bad decisions :slight_smile:
OP on a serious note, if you are over miles on your current lease, you should find out how many miles you need. Leasing is a science where going over miles is pretty consequential.

Also are you a Costco member? because if you are, you just won the 3k Volvo/Costco giveaway lol

You forgot damn asterisks again - $3K is on S90 only, all others are $750

Since the title was S90 or Volt, I thought the asterisk was not needed. But ursus, you can definitely be my lawyer :slight_smile: I promise for my next lease, I will have Ursus read the fine details since I am not a detail person…

Definitely chief of bad decisions in my family. Trying to change that! So now starts the haggle with my local socal Volvo. This is their first offer on a 2018 T5 momentum.
MSRP : $54,625.-
Sale $$: $51,075.-
Residual: 54 % ($29,497.50)
$$ Factor: 0.00020
And cutting me a check for $9142 to pay off my Audi. I’m just confused bc on the Audi financial website it says my remaining 14 payments = 7852.57.

Normally, it doesn’t matter which new vehicle you roll negative equity over to because you would be rolling over the same amount anyways (i.e. $5k rolled over will add ~$138/month to any new vehicle). If you have a budget you want to stay within, then it matters. Volvo has a fairly unique pull-ahead which covers competitive brands though, so you’d benefit more by going with them. I believe you need to be within the last 12 months though.

Yes, I realize this situation is def less than ideal and both cars are totally different. I wanted a Volt b/c I would like to save as much money as possible and thought the tax rebate could help eat some of the neg. equity, but then saw all the posts about the s90 lease buy out program so I thought that might be a better answer. I was trying to negotiate the deal BEFORE all the incentives as I have read to do and this was the dealer’s response
"There is no Conquest rebate for S90’s - the incentive for the S90 is paying 6 mos. of your lease on a Conquest brand. For the XC90 there is Conquest rebate but no paying off a competitor’s lease. With the numbers I have given you, we are giving you a check for $9,142.- to make your final Audi lease payments. We are giving you all of our dealer incentives from the factory to make this deal for you." The deal being -Your S90 payments for 36 months with $0 out of pocket and 12K miles per year will be $645.57 + tax = 695.60. This is getting you out of your current lease and discounting the S90 $3550.- which is $750 below invoice. Of course, all of this is based on approved credit.
I am having a difficult time figuring this out bc I wanted to just shoot for 10-12% off MSRP before the costco and lease payoff. It’s on a 2018 s90 FWD T5 Momentum MSRP $54625.

Maybe the dealer isn’t completely honest because you don’t qualify for Volvo’s pull-ahead programs yet and they want you to buy now and not wait? I think you might have to be within the last 12 months of the lease. If you wait 2 more months (until you qualify), negotiate the new lease and don’t even bring up your Audi until you’ve got a deal already finalized.

http://www.volvocars.com/us/cars/new-models/s90/pull-ahead-lease

Sounds like a wonderful deal to me. So you would actually net 1.3k out of pocket on this deal. I would say negotiate them down to 50k flat, take their 9.1k and call it a day and enjoy the Volvo. @Ursus, your thoughts?

The monthly on the $54k S90 is nearly $700/month though.

I agree but with 9k negative equity, it is gonna be hard to get a 0.7% leasehackr deal. Plus OP is over mileage on the A6, so continuing to drive it accrues a 25 cents a mile penalty. To me the numbers look good but if you want to save and shop a Volt, it would not cost much to get a corresponding quote …

For 9k over 36 months is roughly 250 a month. If you back 250 out of 700, it is 450 which is a great payment for an S90, right @Ursus lol?

So should I just ask for the deal as-is but MSRP at 50k? I had also thought the pull ahead needed to be within 12 months, but they have not mentioned that.

I can’t imagine the A6 really having $7.8k-$9k in negative equity, especially with their low RVs. That amount equals the remaining payments, but OP should tell us the current payoff vs current value.

MSRP should not change. You want the sales price to be $50k.

Here is my info on the Audi. I owned an x5 that I traded in (pre lease hackr days) and got a bad deal :frowning: I meant sales price, not msrp. this whole thing has me rattled

If you rolled negative equity from the X5 to the A6, then disregard everything I previously said about your A6 equity position.

You seem to roll negative equity and go over miles a lot. Are you sure 12k is enough for this new lease?

I was going to have volvo give me the price difference for 12k vs 15k. I think 12k is fine, I bought into an horrible deal at audi when getting it. The guy was like, you’ll trade it in long before lease end and we will work with you, so the A6 deal was 42 months at 32,500 (ugh omg oops)

X5 to A6 to S90. Pray your next car is not is G80!!

Ps Also - try to avoid the late charges :slight_smile: