1 year left, early return commuter Nissan Leaf EV

I have 1 year left on a 3 year Nissan leaf lease. With Covid – I don’t need the car, it was only used for carpool in California. I’d like to get the car out of my driveway so I don’t have to continue to insure and register it (And i’m willing to pay up to remaining months @ Lease rate + insurance + registration) to do it.

My questions are:

• Is it possible to do this > N days before end of lease without additional penalties?
  • Do I call Nissan to tell me the value of the returned lease costs?
  • Is it going to be better for me to just keep the car parked in my driveway for a year and switch to comprehensive/ non-liability coverage to save the insurance premiums?
  • How early before the end of the lease can I return the car without penalty?
  • Can I return the car with PNO?

Overall, I’m trying to optimize for least number of dollars spent keeping the un-needed car for the next year. Advice or hacks welcome.

Have you looked at your lease contract? Many of these questions are answered.

In many cases, with this early of a return, you may be liable for the difference between the current purchase price and the auction value, which may be significantly more than the sum of your remaining payments.

Lease transfer.

Nissan allows them but keeps you on the hook for paying. Only transfer to someone you trust completely.

Yes! This, call them