Would you buy a used electric car?

Lets say you could get a 2016 CPO BMW i3 for $17,000 and drive it for 3 years. Would you be able to sell it for 5-7 grand? Making your cost over the time about the same as a decent hacker lease?

I’ve always heard not to buy an electric car to only lease them because technology changes so much. Beside the range not that much is really changing, right?

I think you can lease an i3 for way less than $10k, so it wouldn’t be a decent lease. I see some selling in the marketplace for around $200 a month or around $7200.

get a used fiat 500e, 8k sell for 5k in 3 years

Isn’t that kind of the biggest thing w/ an electric car?

I don’t know if the cars themselves need to be modified to be compatible w/ faster charging stations, but otherwise, I assume the answer to your question is yes. And if the range of a 2016 i3 works for you, then maybe purchasing one used might make sense.

I thought about this quiet a bit as my second I3 rex lease will be up soon but numbers still don’t make sense. For my 100 miles commute, I need the rex model at a minimum but they are more complex so less reliable compared to BEVs. 2017 and up CPO BEVs (with higher range) are simply too expensive to buy used. For this reason, I am now considering either new tesla 3 or CPO tesla S. In terms of total cost of ownership, they are certainly more but I may be willing to pay for the superior technology. BTW my 2017 i3 rex has been reliable so far in 25K miles of use. No issues whatsoever.

I could be wrong but 200$ is very optimistic now a days.

i think this is still available FEBRUARY 2018 BMW i3 REX $17,500 off with rebates/incentives, $196/month- (Tax,tag,doc fee,1st month Due at Signing) with LOYALTY and OL CODE 10k/24mo MUST SIGN IN PERSON

Oh yeah that one, thanks.
I never click it because I’m on the West coast.

Those should be pretty compatible since CA also has a rebate, however, why stop at i3? You can apply this to any used car.