Trying to replicate a forum deal on the GMC terrain: Is this a good starting point for negotiation?

Year: 2019
Make, Model, and Trim: GMC terrain SLE
Months/Annual Mileage: 12k
Zip Code: 63124

Trying to use the info from this link with updated information from Edmunds: $29k GMC Terrain SLE FWD - $185/month with $45 Due. + $700 Costco Card

These is what the calculator is showing:

Is it unrealistic to try for 20% off msrp?

Monthly Payment (Excl. Tax): $153
Monthly Payment (incl. tax): $167
Drive-Off: $854
1st month payment: $167
Down payment: $0
Registration and doc fee: $480
Tax on cap cost reduction and fees: $207
Leasehackr Score: 13.9 years
Disposition Fee: $495

24: .00065 MF and Residual 64%

Current incentives:
$1000 lease cash
+$1250 customer incentive

IMHO, yes. Very unreasonable. There isn’t nearly that much margin on a Terrain and thats way too big of a loser for a dealer

So should the starting point be 10%, 15%?

Go to true car and build the vehicle with your zip. It will give you an idea what everyone in your area is paying for that GMC. This will give you an idea of where to start.

I agree. My experience was even getting 10% was like pulling teeth. This was in SoCal. If you need 15% look for a service loaner.

true car says that people in my area are paying 23586 (that is 19% of MSRP)!

If you read that post the dealer used some dividend coupons on the deal. It’s my understanding that this is extra cash the dealer is allotted that they can apply to whatever deal they want to, if your dealer has any of these left then you might be able to replicate the deal.

My suggestion is to start in a different place and to expect to solicit quotes from at least 10-12 dealers…ask for quotes based on the vehicle you want and request a quote that has DAS of 1st month payment + tax + plate transfer. In my case I specified 24 months/10k/yr mileage on a 2019 Equinox LT with convenience pkg.
I ended up with a wide array of quotes and settled on $188/month + tax)…$445 DAS. I would solicit both Chev and GMC…the vehicles are basically the same. As a side note I think True Car and the others are a false flag used by dealers to establish a “price floor” and deceive the unwary car buyer/leasee…be suspicious and beware because you are going to hear all kinds of BS stories…

Yes I was planning on my email blast to internet managers to say that I am very flexible on color etc of car and that they can add bonus cash and or dividends instead of reducing MSRP. Thank you for the reminder!

will do. Starting this weekend and will report how I go.

That 19% off is likely with purchase incentives. Look up what those are and subtract them.

1 Like

A lot of the dealers have a “drop down” on their web site that lists specials…the dealers that list the best deals will sometimes do even better if you respond right there…well maybe after a couple of tries to see if you are serious and watching the numbers…