Toyota Yaris iA in NJ/PA/MA

The Yaris is so quirky it may not lease well. How about a more mainstream Corolla LE with 1k down and $49 a month?
Lease requires approved credit; based on 12,000 miles per year, $0.15 per mile excess. 24-month lease. $2,128 due at signing (this includes $1,000 cash or trade down, first month’s payment of $49, documentary preparation fee of $429, and bank acquisition fee of $650). Tax, title, registration, and inspection fees are additional. Security deposit waived. MSRP: $19,800. Net Cap Cost: $14,200. Residual: $13,464.

Well, that $49/month offer is quite misleading, vhooloo :slight_smile: First of all, the fine print says $2,300 down, not $1,000. Plus taxes and other fees, so we are already at about $3,000 down. Plus it’s a lease for 24 months, not 36… which changes the RV a little.

Before settling on the iA, I did a little work on the Corolla, and at the end the difference between the two was just $10/month. Right now I have what I would consider a good offer on the iA: $115/month, with $3k down (all included) for 36 months, 12k/y. Residual: $11,900. Dealer did not want to provide MF.

What do the experts think?

Did you search Edmunds forums for the MF?

And search this forum for previous IA deals?

I couldn’t find any posts on Edmunds regarding the iA :frowning: Plenty of notes on the Corolla though. I’ll keep looking.

A car that’s a good value to buy isn’t necessarily a good car to lease. I think you need to take off the blinders and consider other cars because $115 a month with $3000 down is absolutely atrocious for a subcompact. A Hyundai Elantra Value Edition could easily be around the same price for a much larger and nicer car. .00106 MF and 56% residual. $3000 lease cash.

Also, I’m not sure where you are looking, but the Corolla deal that @vhooloo posted is accurate. Details of the $0 down lease (copied directly from the site) : $0 Down Lease Lease requires approved credit; based on 12,000 miles per year, $0.15 per mile excess. 24-month lease. $1,174 due at signing (this includes $0 cash or trade down, first month’s payment of $95, documentary preparation fee of $429, and bank acquisition fee of $650). Tax, title, registration, and inspection fees are additional. Security deposit waived. MSRP: $19,800. Net Cap Cost: $15,200. Residual: $13,464. No College or Military rebate required for lease payment. All factory rebates, promotions, and incentives to dealer. Even for the $1000 down offer it clearly says $1000 down. If you really want to drive a Toyota Yaris and pay an outrageous amount for a subcompact, go ahead and knock your socks off

For me, money down = out of pocket due at signing. I should have clarified that earlier. So the $99/month with “zero down” on the Corolla, if I buy out of state, becomes $99 with $1,174 + $330 NJ Tax + $500 registr + title = $2,000 out of pocket. Does it make sense?

Max, thanks for all the links, I’m looking at all the info you’re posting. I know it’s frustrating to deal with a newbie :wink: Much appreciated!

Also search for Corolla IM aka Scion IM. IIRC it’s slightly better equipped and IMO much better looking.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m trying to find more info about the IM. I agree with you about being better equipped, not sure about the “spongebob’s squidward’s nose” :wink:

Between the IA and the newly, ahem, “facelifted” Corolla I’d say the IM is the least offensive. Or at least the least polarizing.

The IA reminds me of other “imported” (i.e. not originally USDM design) platforms which are hatchbacks in Europe or ROW, but had a quick plastic surgery to graft on a trunk and call it a sedan, like the Ford Fiesta.

Just IMO of course.

I know, and I agree with you. I lived in Europe for many years, and I must say I miss all the nice looking cars they have there!!! :slight_smile: In the meanwhile, do you think $115/month with $2k down (36/12k) for the Elantra is asking too much, in NJ? I’m going to test drive one tomorrow. I’ll see how it goes.

MSRP, sales price, MF and RV?

You and @LeaseNJ are looking for almost the same thing in the same area. Share what you find out.

Not sure how far you are from Phillipsburg NJ, but i got a quote for 2017 Elantra SE 12k/36M for $130/month or $175 out the door late January.

Excludes taxes, doc & bank fees and 1st month’s payment. Must qualify for valued owner coupon or conquest rebate on all. Available to well-qualified lessees approved by Hyundai Motor Finance. Must have 700+ credit score to qualify. **$0 down available with approved credit. College Grad rebate: Must have graduated an accredited college within the past two (2) years or will graduate from such a school within the next six months from date of finance contract. Military Rebate: Customers (or spouse) must be Active Duty, Reservists/National Guard, Veteran, or on Retired status in the U.S. Military at the commencement of the program period.

For a Corolla. RV might even be higher for an SE (available w/ manual), while MSRP could be lower = possibly even lower payments than this. CC @LeaseNJ

2017 XSE
3 years/12k
zero down
MSRP $24615
CAP COST Includes Acquisition fee/reg fee/tax $20402
Residual 61%
MF .00075

monthly Payment $176

The msrp 18110 is a manual car

BoardWalkNJ was right in telling me to take off the blinders and consider other cars. I compared the Yaris and the Corolla with the Elantra Value Edition. In the end this is what I got: $130/month x 36 months + 1k down + trade ( $1,500 KBB value ) all included (taxes, acquisition, registration) for the value edition. Unfortunately I didn’t qualify for any rebates (valued owner, college, military, etc). RV: $12,357, MSRP: $21,085. What do you think?