To put new tires on lease or not?

I’ve been in a debate with myself these past few months. Should I bite the bullet and buy tires or hope for the best when it comes time to trade in, or give the car back to Infiniti (turn in)?

My Q50S lease expires in June and I’m almost certain that the tires would not pass inspection. If I recall, they were at the limit the last time the dealer had measured the tread depth (months ago). It will cost me at least $700 to put four new tires on…which isn’t bad considering the current are over $400 each (without labor).

Not that I don’t trust the dealer, and I don’t, but I would get a second opinion on the thread. Then if I needed tires, I’d look for used matching tires that would barely pass inspection and shoot for under $50 per tire.

2 Likes

I think the bigger question should be safety. Are your current tires unsafe to drive on? Likewise, if they’re not at least 4/32 of tread, and nobody buys it, you’ll buy them anyways through penalty unless staying with Infiniti on the new lease.

Any suggestions on where to find used tires? I’ve checked online…the few I do find are only single tires; I can’t have 4 mismatched tires with varying depths.

A dealer would buy on trade in…its a matter of how much they are going to fight for the “cost” of them replacing the tires before they put it on their lot.

I understand the buying of the tires if returned to Infiniti - I’m sure they’ll charge more than $700. So basically I would either have the dealer buy the car out (trade in) or return to Infiniti if I lease another Infiniti…if I don’t buy new tires.

best used tires dot com
amazon
ebay
craigslist

3 Likes

all of the above, but I had luck with ebay and craigslist. Also, go to forum or facebook market place for this particular vehicle, many people dump their wheels or tires for something better.

I’ve had really good luck with bestusedtires as well. I’ve put tires on two lease turn-ins for relatively little money.

A friend of mine has his lease up at the end of the month and they said at his last oil change that the tires needed to be replaced…he found some place and paid $400 for a set. It was probably cheaper to do that than get a bill for $800+

How many miles are on those low profile tires?

The tires I have on my new lease are 19" and retail for approx $200-250 a piece

Says they offer a 45,000-55,000 miles…

What is the usual thread thickness where the dealership will charge you for new tires?
3/32 or less?

The problem with those 36 month leases is you just make it to the end where you might need to replace the tires, problem is putting on new tires only to give the car back.

I believe I’m sitting at around 25K or 26k miles. I’ve never had any tires last for 45-55K miles, particularly sport tires. My Z’s that I used to have, I was lucky to see 20k miles…depending on the tire. Do you have RF tires? The cheapest I have seen my current tires are about $400 each.

Infiniti’s lease terms are a minimum of 1/8" (4/32). The dealers will heavily vary on what you get away with. I believe most will just “eyeball” the tires to verify their condition.

Yes, I knew that going in with the 36/39 month lease. I had a good feeling that I would e pushing it for new tires.

I’ve previously checked all of those…besides the best used tires site. Q50’s (Infiniti’s in general) are pretty rare in my area…which would be why there are no used tires available. Many people are unsure what the Infiniti brand even is LOL.

anyone use Utires for purchasing used tires online? I have found a set that are a couple hundred cheaper than bestusedtires.com?

IF the tires won’t pass the end of lease inspection find out how much they will charge you. IF they won’t pass safety inspection there should be no question. I just put $700 brakes and rotors 4 months before lease end and had the car towed to the dealership bc all of a sudden they weren’t holding. Didn’t make me happy but it made me safe. PS Just had end of lease inspection: tires fine. BUT when I took my car for a NYS inspection two weeks before, the first guy said I needed four new tires; they wouldn’t pass. He lied! Or was just dumb.He looked at the treads on the very edge. They always wear down.

why are we having the same discussion about tires every week?

3 Likes

They check the tread at the lowest possible spot…that’s not dumb, that’s the law.

Infiniti Q50S lease ending soon. It came with RF tires, but I’m looking to replace with non-run flat. The Infiniti dealer told me that I’m fine as long as I have the spare tire package (which I do).

Anyone have experience with this? I’ve read so many stories from both sides. It does not specify anything about the run flats in Infiniti’s lease agreement.

I owned an infiniti before, they are very strict on the tires, need to be replaced with the same tire. but again, this is 3 years ago.

I have my Hyundai, replaced the tire prior to returning it with a regular stock, they don’t care.

with the exact same tire?? I don’t see what the big issue would be, as the dealers will often purchase the vehicles from IFS; they generally don’t care as long as the tires are in good shape.

You should call Infiniti Finance, not the dealers.

As an owner of ‘15 q50, I was told the replaced tires must be the same size, same rating, etc. but does not have to be exactly the same tires.

1 Like