Tire tread requirement at end of lease. Any chance Pirelli Cinturato p7 all season will be ok at 20k miles?

Considering Giulia awd 2yr/10k lease. Expect via Ally bank.
Sales rep said must be 50% tread left at turn in.
Anyone have Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS? Do you think they’ll be ok for lease turn in after 20 to 24k miles of normal driving. Mostly just socal freeways and side streets.

EDIT: appears new P7s have 10/32nds tread height. Appears typical Ally Bank lease requires 4/32nds at turn in. Under 2/32nd is generally considered worn out and fails inspections. So sales rep saying “50%” in the 0-10 32nds context isn’t too far off. At the time, sounded like it was 50% of the usable 8/32nds due to 2yr lease duration (as if 3yr lease would allow more). Since rep wan’t pushing any sort of prepaid maint plan (we were discussing turn-in requirements), was likely ambiguous communication.

depends how you drive it, but 50%??? I would want to see this in writing before I sign the deal. Not sure anyone would be ok with dropping a $1000 on new tires and then return the car.

1 Like

In the UK the minimum legal tread depth is 3mm, I’d imagine it’s something similar here. For 20k miles you might make it without changing them if you’re delicate with your right foot.

I’ve done several 36 month leases and never had to replace tires. What saves me is rotating tires at least once to twice a year

1 Like

As always, verify this. Don’t assume the salespeople know what they’re talking about.

But 50% on even a moderately sporty compound is unachievable after 20-24k miles. IMO

I’d say not achievable. The tires that come on the car are sometimes a slightly different compound than the same tires you can buy for replacement. Meaning those original tires don’t come with any warranty but the replacements do. You can check the tirerack.com and see what people get out of them.

Drive the cinturato for a few months then take them off and put a set of normal “cheap” tires on. Put cinturato back on before lease turn in. Problem solved.

Get lightly used tires off ebay, I think Costco does the install for $15 a tire, so it comes out to about $65-75 a tire including install. Most of the sellers sell perfectly good tires–no sidewall damage, no plugs, date codes from the last couple years.

Read the contract. I’ve always seen it be 4/32nd tread requirement on leases, but I suppose Ally could have a different one.

I have them on my Golf, currently have 31k on them and still have plenty of tread. Obviously this would different on the giulia, but I figured some sort of real world experience might help you

All - thanks for the feedback.
I’ll check the lease fine print (before signing) for a measurable requirement like “4/32nd”. That’s what I expected based on various posts I’ve seen online.

The same brand could have a long lasting H rated tire for one car and a quicker wearing W rated tire for another

Thanks, good point. I’ll check exact tire before signing anything.

this is certainly not the norm and I would not take this statement as a guideline to estimate tire life expectancy.

tires can still have uneven wear and you won’t know until you bought them and installed them. I suggest buying new but cheap tires instead.

This is what I’m doing :slight_smile:

I have an Ally Giulia lease. The requirement is 4/32".

I’ve never seen 50% be the requirement for a lease turn-in. BMW is 3/32 and I believe Lexus is the same.

If you could return the car with cheap tires, that would be great. However, driving an expensive car for 3 years on crappy tires won’t be the best feeling.

the expensive run flat tires they put on those cars drive like crap anyway, might as well drive on cheap “crap”.

This. I used to go track events 4-5 times a year, but couldn’t afford dedicated tire and wheel set, I can burn through a set of summer tires in 10K miles. Then I stopped using this car for track 5-6 years ago and use it for commute and social outing only, I got 40K for the rears and 60K for the fronts. I guess all the track training make me a smoother driver on street. :wink: