Stricter Guidelines for Registered Brokers?

Lol reread the first 3 lines of your first comment and tell me again how you weren’t being arrogant…it’s very blatantly obvious.

Being that you are one, I shouldn’t need to explain to you what the definition of one is however you were clearly trying to be a wise ass with the “talk to me more about” and the “Thank so much”.

Save me the " I don’t appreciate the" as if I was wrong for responding the way I did after your comment. :joy:

1 Like

There isn’t anything wrong with it but they should have to play by the same rules (laws) as every other dealership or broker business because at the end of the day whether it’s a side hustle or not, if your brokering more then 3-5 cars a year then it’s a business and they need to abide by the same laws as any other dealership or individual broker in the business.

You do realize that a LOT of the good deals that come through this forum are not from people who would fit your criteria or your rules?

I do like the idea of a “trusted registered business” badge based on feedback and completed deals. However, if we go down that route, there should be a forum to allow for negative feedback to be registered as well (if claims can be substantiated).

1 Like

All - I’m liking this discussion as it is a concern of mine (and others).

As mentioned previously, it has been discussed at length numerous times and there are various challenges to taking a more hands on approach to governing this. The approach we have taken is making sure someone is clearly identified as conducting business and then letting the free market speak.

Make sure that you do your due diligence before engaging with anyone you do business with and that includes any of the dealers/brokers here. With all the controls in the world, even if someone has a stellar reputation, you could have a personality mismatch, someone might have a bad day, a dealer could renege on a deal etc. Caveat emptor, as always.

Please keep the discourse civil and productive, though. The only bad ideas are the ones that are not voiced.

10 Likes

Great post. 202020

Perhaps a community initiated/maintained wiki post for trusted brokers, just like we do for dealers?

2 Likes

I’m not listed on the dealers one :frowning:

If we could setup a Wiki for trusted brokers it would be great. I’ve thought a useful items would be an annotated jpeg of the US map where trusted brokers could have their icon/badge displayed in the states they operate.

It might be hard to work out such an annotated image, but instead a table could be used where next to the brokers name, would be the states they have dealer relationships and can work deals for.

I think a system where brokers can be “verified” with badges/ranks/trust levels could be an idea. Like once a successful deal is completed, the lessee would need to provide some sort of verifiable feedback (need to prevent fake ones, though).

I think the broker review threads sort of provide a foundation to build upon.

Does every broker already need to provide their real names and contact info?

2 Likes

The problem with the wiki post is…it’s not being updated by people. @Cody_Carter should’ve been added to that list by someone…he’s a So Cal Toyota Legend on this board…but it wasn’t.

1 Like

Does that make it right/ok that someone is illegally running a business, but brings a good deal to the table?

This is a tricky fine line as for each broker, there are many, many more ‘customers’ who have unrealistic expectations. So I can understand that it’s hard to balance what we, as users of the site, should expect from a broker or indeed a dealer with what the customer wants. Just as there are trusted users, there are also untrustworthy customers!

As a simple user of the site, I am personally pretty happy with the current approach. It is fairly obvious that any broker or dealer who has decent reviews, is responsive, transparent and has been here for a while, rightly deserves our business. I have put my money where my mouth is once and will do again when the need for a 2nd car arises in the near future.

1 Like

Yes, it’s called competition. It’s not my responsibility, nor do I care if somebody paid the $500 license to become a licensed broker.

Are you going to police and ban people who are clearly using auto leases as tax deductions even when it’s clear they are for personal use?

I think that if we go down this rabbit hole, quite a bit of activities performed by brokers here are prohibited.

Per the NY Department of State Division of Licensing Services, §737 prohibits advance fees without a written contract including very specific details on what is being acquired. Seems like most of our brokers would be in violation of that provision for the clients they take on.

Since @mp11477 wants to do everything by the book, maybe we should ban those registered brokers who are clearly breaking such provisions. A few high profile, well respected, brokers come to mind.

Show us on the rental contract where the broker hurt you?

1 Like

I think you might be struggling with context.

I’m willing to offer my seal of approval to the brokers for a fee :star_struck:

The problem with any verification process is that it is laborious to enforce and discourages participation.

The appeal of Leasehackr is that the community can come together to unearth great deals – though it does take some work (and hacking skills). Our community has built itself to be inclusive-- whether you are a newbie or expert, an enthusiast or party with commercial interest – as long as you are willing to participate and contribute constructively, the community welcomes you. We have a few folks who have built their businesses upon their good reputation on Leasehackr. Like many of you have said, the Leasehackr community has been pretty good at regulating itself, especially with the excellent help from our @trusted_hackrs.

For those who want a no-brainer, protected leasing experience, there are plenty of other platforms out there providing verified deals from verified parties, though you won’t get the fun and bargains interacting with the community. Obviously we will still work our best to keep scammers or scrupulous brokers out and our community safe, but I personally enjoy the wild west spirit here without a central regulating agent.

3 Likes

@CaptQ Most regular users should be able to create and edit a wiki post.

@Cody_Carter you can in theory add yourself onto the list, though it might look more legitimate if someone else does that for you. :stuck_out_tongue:

Kinda what I always thought. Didn’t want to be at guy. :grimacing:

1 Like