Realistic negotiating

Hello, I’m new to this site and leasing. I’m looking to lease 2 cars. One for me and one for my wife. I’m looking for a 2019 ram 1500 (new design) either big horn or Laramie for myself. For my wife I’m looking at a 2019 BMW X5 or Mercedes GLE 400. I live in NY, Long Island specifically. My question would be…what is a realistic % off MSRP I should negotiate for on the above mentioned vehicles, or what % would be overshooting and unrealistic? I have researched and know the MF and RV’s and rebates/incentives. Any help/advice for negotiating the best selling price is much appreciated.

Your best bet is to research on the forum a bit for those models. There have been a few ram deals lately so you might have good info there. The 19 X5 and GLE may be harder. Beyond that, the next best thing will be to email a few dealers and start benchmarking their quotes. If you know what rebates you qualify for already then you will be able to tell how much is coming out of the dealer in what they quote you.

1 Like

These two posts should get you going. For whats possible.

1 Like

As far as negotiations go here’s a few threads with good tips and pointers. Also, arm yourself with what rebates you qualify for, know the RV/MF from Edmunds so you can run the numbers on your own to compare against what the dealer is giving you.

3 Likes

So I got a worksheet from a dealer. Can someone dissect this because to me it seems like a bad deal. Basically said to them $0 down taxes and fees upfront. I was confused about the $3959 down payment on the worksheet. He said that’s part of the rebate they use for down payment. ($6500 incentives/rebates total). To me I see they just used the incentives/rebates to reduce MSRP. No actual discount before rebates. He wouldn’t allow me to take worksheet with me so I had to sneak a pic. This was their first and final offer he said. I got up and walked out.

Yup they didn’t discount the price at all. Typically, you should be able to discount the price on a new car at least 10%. That’s like a standard deduction and if they’re not even willing to negotiate on that, leave.

1 Like

Yes they did discount the price… 10.3% off the MSRP… Here are my calculations…

The acq fee of 995 appears to be marked up by 300 (I think).
The 6500 rebate is allocated as follows…
3952.60… rebate cap reduction
2198.88… rebate applied to upfront fees
341.52… rebate applied to cap reduction tax

In addition, the 500 customer cash is also applied to upfront fees. DAS is 0. However, DMV fees are missing. I would work on getting that selling price down.