Rate my lease - 2019 Jetta SEL

Dude, enough. If you can find a 3 Series lease for less than $300 a month to match the Jetta terms, I’m in. 36mos, 12k a year. It just isn’t happening for 36mos.

I already did, I drive it every day. Although it’s only 24mo.and 15k, so different term

Are you in SoCal? And is it loaner? 320i?

Denver and it was a loaner. 3800 miles

Nice! I called around to some dealers in my are when looking for my GTI, wasn’t able to find any loaners. I’m in philly area, what was your strategy when finding a loaner? Just calling around and asking? Hoping after my lease is over I’ll give that a try for my next car

Well in my area there isn’t that many dealers. I just watched cars on the dealers sites(about 3 that will play ball, somewhat) When I saw that one 320 was $13k off that’s when I test drove got some initial numbers and then started working the deal via text with the salesperson. While negotiating they actual dropped the price another $1000 online…lol. Just need to watch the cars prices online and compare to the deals being had on this site. The key to getting these stellar deals is you can’t be picky about the car, mines black which isn’t my favorite, and it was a very expensive 320, not a car you should order. MSRP was $48k, that’s 330 territory, but for $234/mo I didn’t care. I also had a couple months left on my current lease but didn’t care since I was getting a unicorn and my jetta payment was only $150/mo

Ok hackers, I have a serious question.

I looked on Autotrader and CarGurus for Jetta SEL’s- found one listed for $25990 MSRP, emailed the dealer and they said their listed price of $21048 was without any incentives. So with an extra $500 taxed incentive for grad meant I used that price as my capitalized cost.

The dealer quoted a hugely different number for the lease than what i was getting on the calc, and after talking to them they said that all of our numbers and MF matched, but the capitalized cost isn’t the “dealer price” listed on the site. That’s a “finance price.”

So here’s the question: if VW has no cash incentives listed on their site, how is it that they can only give me a deal of $23600 for the lease on negotiated price but can get to $21048 for the finance price?

@drstickshift Someone with more industry knowledge will be able to answer this in more detail, but there are incentives from the manufacturer to the dealer that may not be listed on various sites. Some of these incentives may be applicable only to purchases vs leases. In my limited experience, dealers aren’t very transparent in explaining these types of differences, only telling you that there’s a difference between a finance price and a lease price.

That’s one of the issues in terms of approaches to leasing - some on the forum inquire first about the sale price of the vehicle, without specifying their intent to lease. However, you can think you’ve got a great deal lined up, and then find out that the price you’re putting into the calculator is incorrect.

1 Like

Lease incentives and purchase incentives are different,

https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/51180/volkswagen/jetta/2019-volkswagen-jetta-lease-deals-and-prices/p24

This link doesn’t tell me much… just shows my own post for MF and residual :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: everyone is asking about leases here. Ugh.

It tells you there’s no lease cash and if you have been following the Jetta’s the last few months you’d know the program is pretty :poop: this month, but you pretty much write off anything I tell you. So most likely the big discounts you’re seeing include some sort of dealer cash only available on a purchase. Good luck

Nothing against you, it’s that you literally answer a specific question about something with info that isn’t relevant to me so I have to ask again. I ask about 36mos leases and you reply that you got a great deal on a 24mo. That’s not useful to me. I still appreciate your input and expertise! I’m not writing you off.

I was looking at jettas too and ending up with the 3 series, went 24mo because it was cheaper. It was a no brainer, 3 series or Jetta for more money. The jetta just isn’t leasing that great

If the goal it minimize the total lease expense (Total Cost / Months), it makes sense to inform you that you may get a better deal on a 24 month lease even if you intended to do a 36 month lease.

This may not be of interest if you prefer to hack 2 leases in a 6 year period instead of 3. If you “Enjoy the hunt” so to speak, it’s good to know. Typically, 2 year leases are more expensive per month, but if there are large discounts and rebates, it sometime flips the other way where it is cheaper on the 24 month. Plus with a 24 month, there’s less of a chance to need to replace tires.

When I purchased my Golf recently, one dealer quoted me diff “lowest offer” sale price, depending on which interest I was willing to take (the higher the APR, the lower the price; curiously, getting outside financing also qualified for the lowest sale price).

For me it’s more a convenience issue-- moving across the country soon to FL which has insane fees and not as good of deals as in PA. I have a 3 year contract for work there so get a 3 year lease in FL, and not have to bring the car down from PA and then turn it in without worrying about moving a car again seems like a great idea. Just not finding what I want…(other option is take advantage of insane leases right now and deal with the cost to move, like a 330e).

You could do a 3 year on a 3 series, depending on the discount it’s either a little more than the 24mo or a little less. Here’s a PA example

Or get a Jetta

That’s what it looks like :upside_down_face: Makes the VW dealer who offered $352 a month look like a chump.

That’s allot car for the money, and sweet mpg’s too