Question regarding demos/loaners

Just a questions for anyone who may know…At what mileage is a vehicle considered to be a demo or loaner vehicle? Is a new vehicle with 300+ miles on it considered a non demo? Does this vary by manufacturer?

From my research this past week, it looks like loaners are less than 5,000 miles. Demo’s are between 5,000-10,000 miles. After 10,000 miles, cars can’t be leased anymore.

Demo’s seem like they’re more likely to be fully loaded as they are given to executives and such while loaners are more likely to be bare since they’re just drivers when people get their car fixed at the dealer.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Apologies, this is just research from BMW’s I’ve been looking at. Maybe OP can provide more info on the brand he’s looking at so others can better inform him.

1 Like

That’s not correct at all. It varies by manufacturer and by dealer.

3 Likes

BMW loaners can have over 5,000 miles.

I think you need to rephrase your question
Is a car with 300 + miles on odo still considered new
the answer to that is yes … I think the cut off is between 500-1000 miles

There’s so much wrong info on this thread. If you don’t know or aren’t sure, don’t just answer to answer.

Op, it varies by manufacturer. What brands?

2 Likes

I guess I would say BMW. The question was more just in general though. I happen to be looking at a car that had like 350 miles on it that they were selling his new but my curiosity was what that threshold was we’re all of a sudden a new car becomes regarded as a demo.

350 miles could be a few test drives along with an overnight. Not necessarily a demo. Depending on the state though, loaners can still be sold as new, even with a few thousand miles, as long as it isn’t titled. CA sells them as preowned, but plenty of other states still consider as new.

BMW leasing info can be found here…