Question on Selling a leased car to Carvana

You still have enough time to get this pump or drive around for about 6 hours.

Did you have to do anything to let the California DMV know that you were no longer the “owner” of the leased vehicle once Carvana picked it up? Is there a form you had to fill out? Also, did you or Carvana have to pay taxes on the vehicle purchase from VW?

One should always fill out a release of liability after selling a car in California to inform the CA DMV it is no longer yours, no matter who the buyer.

Is the form you’re referring to the “Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability”?

If so, I’m not sure how to fill it out as I am not the true owner of the vehicle and don’t have the title (Lexus Financial does) and Vroom will be purchasing the vehicle from Lexus Financial and be the new vehicle owner. It’s almost like I’d be filling out a form that I am not even in. Any advice on this would be super helpful. Thank you!

Yes, that’s the form to fill out. Just put Vroom’s info as the buyer and submit it.

And who do I put as the “seller” - myself or Lexus Financial?

You would put Yourself. You are transferring liability of parking tickets etc.so any new parking tickets would go to Vroom instead of you.

Hi I am in the same boat as you were. I am selling my Mazda Lease to vroom. How did you end up filling out the transfer of liability form? It seems in NY the only thing they have is a bill of sale which doesn’t seem appropriate. Any advice would be great.

Thanks