Options & Ideas

Hello everyone! I purchased a 2015 F150 and have had nothing but issues with it. I wish it was a lease so I could return it and wash my hands of it. So I am planning on getting rid of it and need to consider all my options. I have a few challenges that have kept me from leasing that may or may not be an issue. So I though getting some ideas from the Hackers would be a good idea.

First thing is mileage I drive 10,500 miles to work and back so the more miles on the lease the better.

Second is towing I drive a truck because I haul 2 dirt bikes to the forest ride on the weekends. I could easily buy an inexpensive trailer to achieve this but need a vehicle that can pull a trailer.

Gas milage - I rotate driving every other week but the roundtrip commute is 80 miles. My 2.7 F150 gets about 20 mpg or better depending on traffic so I am kinda spoiled in that respect.

So I have had a few thoughts:

Lease on a commuter car and buy an older used truck for hauling by dirt bikes.

Lease a vehicle that has a tow hitch and get a trailer for my dirt bikes ( need more miles on the lease )

Find the cheapest lease possible for the commute and buy another vehicle for everything else.

My truck payment is low as I was very optimistic about the F150 and hoped to pay it off and drive the wheels off of it. I had a 2013 that was amazing and was almost paid off but Harvey took it unfortunately. I loved the 2013 F150 but the 2015+ model F150 has some major issues IMHO.

Anyway that is my situation l’m looking for and open to ideas so please let me know your thoughts.

I’m pretty sure you could get a Tundra for under $300/month

With how many miles a year?

Tundras and GM trucks are leasing well, from what I’ve seen. Lease for 12k miles a year.

If you want less truck, something smaller that can tow, maybe look at Grand Cherokees? I’ve seen some killer deals under 350 a month for Limited trims. Towing a light trailer and two dirt bikes should be easy work for the V6 Grand Cherokee.

I think there was another guy on here posting one for 12k miles a year and $260/month excluding tax.

Lease an F150, not sure what your major issues are and did you buy this one new or used?

“Hey bro, I see you hate this car. You should lease it.”

Couldn’t help it.

6 Likes

I think the best lease is tacoma with their 70%+ residual value. The v6 can tow around 6k pounds which is more than enough for your needs.

I love the F150 when everything is functioning properly. I been on the F150 forums for years and the only way to say is the 2015+ models are hit or miss. Mine is obviously a miss and for the price tag of a Lariat model you would think they would be built better. Mine has had issue after issue and I just do not have time or the money to keep it up once my ESP expires. I literally feel like I threw money away buying this truck.

Out of everything mentioned above the Toyota’s would be a consideration. Does anyone know if the Honda Ridgeline would be an option for a lease? What about a Jeep Wrangler?

Both Wranglers and Ridgelines buy well (high actual resale value). Wranglers can lease pretty well due to very high RV if you can combine good selling price with incentives, search the forum for deals. Not so much Ridgelines. MSRP discounts are there, but RV is mid 60’s last I saw and MF is higher than finance rate plus no lease incentives.

Wow just saw this post on theTundra deal for 24/12 at $300 a month. I just left the sales guy a message to see if he has any deals like that.

I tried getting a Jeep Wrangler in the past the RV was good but the incentives and rates were not great. I know the body style was just updated not sure if that has an effect.

No FCA incentives in my area for the JK. But if you can find a motivated and reasonable CJDR dealer (IMO this is more effort than it’s worth), you can score a good deal on them with the sky high RV’s. I think you’ve got the right idea, hunt around the forums/edmunds and find which vehicles have good deals available :slight_smile:

1 Like

No incentives for Jeeps in my area either. Jeeps and Trucks are big in Texas so I guess they sell themselves. I have always wanted a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited but never wanted to pay for it. Lol! Definitely would consider a Tundra for a deal like that guy received.

Its getting close to the end of the year and I am not in a hurry so maybe something will pop up on the forums.

Have you looked at the 2019 Ram 1500? They have a $1000 truck conquest and certain regions have decent lease incentives. I also think the leasing may be helped because of the high residuals on 3rd party leases. Ally has 70% 24/15 residual on 4x4 Big Horn/Lone star.

I’m kind of partial to the buy an old truck route. Something you can get dirty inside and out and not care about. Then you could commute in something that might suit you better than a truck.

1 Like

I have not looked at the Dodge trucks maybe because I have typically always purchased vehicles with the intent of keeping them and I am old enough to remember when Dodge wasn’t so great. I will take a look at the RAM and I appreciate the information thanks!

I have considered buying an older truck and getting a vehicle more suited for commuting. I like sitting up higher and Houston traffic is horrible with fatality accidents are common. That being said a small economy car would be a potential death trap. I guess that could be investigated with crash test ratings.

I owe less than 10k on my F150 so I have considered just keeping it and leasing something for my commute. I got my truck back last night and Ford fixed everything and the majority was covered by my ESP program. I am going to continue to drive it for now and keep trolling the forums for a good lease deal hopefully I see one before my ESP runs out. Once my ESP is out I will likely sell it.

Where can I get more information on this program?