Noob Questions.. why california lease so cheaper than other state?

we don’t pay income tax tho… xD

1 Like

Every state gets you some way or another, Texas has no state income tax, but then they get you on property tax. I don’t care where you live, the government is going to get their cut

3 Likes

That’s the crazy thing, they do stack. I’m amazed BMW haven’t closed the loop hole, but then Owners Choice very rarely gets pushed by dealers so it’s probably an anomaly that doesn’t get spotted. I try and flag it up to people here as often as possible as it’s an easy way to a great deal on a BMW or Mini.

There are a couple of caveats:

1. The interest rate is always ~1% higher on Owners Choice, but this is a small issue when it’s used with EVs or hybrids.
  2. The Fed and State rebates are related to your income tax filing so you don’t get the benefit right away.

The other benefit, and this was why Owners Choice was originally created, is if you choose to buy the vehicle at the end of the lease you don’t pay sales tax again on it as it’s already in your name.

1 Like

Currently At the biggest bmw in Dallas which is bmw of Dallas.

The sales said bmw no longer offers owners choice.
So I went to gm to talk to him…

He said
BMW is about to close owners choice option…

Idk if this is true or not… but couldn’t get owners choice as a option.

I assumed op would know tax rates don’t change, I simply meant msrp and sales prices differences.

I’ve had my emails ignored by Dallas BMW on at least 2 occasions, even though they have an Internet Sales team and I was interested in an X5M they had so I wouldn’t expect a good experience with them. They’re also an Autonation dealer so they’re very good at screwing people over. You need to know your numbers inside out or they’ll add you to their list.

I think there’s at least $6k in incentives, Edmunds says $7k so they’re not even giving you all of the manufacturer incentives.

Find another dealer via email that will do Owners Choice with all the other details I listed earlier. I would recommend Tyler BMW, they tend to be more open about doing deals.

autonation is junk, got garbage deals when shopping the f150 and same for the hellcat.

That quote is a crime…

Avoid BMW of Dallas, try get quote from BMW of San Antonio, or BMW of Arlington.

Arlington don’t have a enough cars… gonna try houston by email and phone then plan trip for a day… :frowning: idk about San Antonio.

Oh San Antonio is pretty big… I should definitely check them out lol

As others have stated, there’s little doubt that So Cal dealers feel the pressure to compete. Orange County and LA County combined have more 15 BMW dealerships.
I also agree that Autonation dealerships are the bottom of the barrel. I leased a Macan in November 2018. My attempt to negotiate with my local Autonation-owned Porsche dealership was a waste of time. First, the finance manager ignored the mileage allowance specified in my offer. Second, his counteroffer included a 15% sales tax rate; my sales tax rate is 7.75%. Third, he refused to provide the figures (MF, residual) despite the fact I had done my research and calculated the lease beforehand. There was a 7K difference between the total cost of the Autonation counteroffer and the lease I ended up signing.
Have you considered reaching out to Dave Townsend of BMW of Murrietta? I don’t know if he does out-of state leases. I do know that he is straightforward and a pleasure to work with.

YMMV I’ve leased two cars (Mercedes and Volvo) from norcal Autonation dealerships, they offered me the best deal around.

Don’t you worry, we payback much more in rent and taxes :joy:

1 Like

Thanks for all the advices. i am dealing with BMW of San Antonio and brought down to $2500 DAS / $525 month. for 2018 530e ( the car i liked most… idk why lol ) they also told me owners choice going to be closed soon. at least in Texas.

Going to contact Houston dealer for last chance then might going to settle with best deal i’ll get.

Also yes, contacted few so-cal dealers. like 7 out of 10 not interested in out of state deals.
2 of them said pick up only. only 1 has shipping option but charge going to be $1200.
all after that, its not that super big difference. unless i drive myself home…

Yeah I think it’s less about the Brand/group and more about competition. I have 19 BMW dealers within 100 miles of me and 15 Honda dealerships within 27 miles. They have to compete with that sort of dealership saturation. In DC area I have never had a problem getting a good deal on a car even from the large dealership groups. Unfortunately a good deal doesn’t do any good to counter the annual VA car tax (how in the world is my used car worth more than I paid for it new).

This is a great point, LA county alone has over 10 million people. Also, with the sorry excuse for public transportation here, almost everyone has personal cars. AFAIK the car manufacturers have lobbied in the past to kill public transportation improvement projects in SoCal.

I would pay 3x my lease price to go back to Ohio rent prices! I moved from one of the cheapest cost of living centers to one of the priciest haha.

Consolation prize is solid lease deals are easy to find! Now go choke on your rent. It has how many digits? And the first one is WHAT?

I think it depends on the car as well. For example, Ford leases are significantly cheaper in MI than CA.