Nissan Kicks - should I expect sub-$200, or am I dreaming? Tips appreciated

Ha, yes! I was thinking - for $300/month, I might as well go lease a BMW! I was looking at inexpensive vehicles to get the lease sub-$200 range … but, at $300/month, forget it.

I was hoping there was maybe some trick I was missing. … I guess I’m not. (I’m use to doing slickdeals … just new to the whole slickdealing, or leasehacking, a lease)

My goal is just the least amount of money spent, at the end of the day, for the next two to three years while still having a vehicle that fits the equipment I need to carry regularly (aka, a car is too small) and can have a tow hitch somehow for towing a small trailer (4x8’) for literally 3 miles non-highway from time to time. If that’s spending $22k now and selling for $15k in 2 years, or a lease for $199/month - it doesn’t matter to me. I just want the best possible price over the next 2-3 years. I’m considering buying used as well, haven’t written it off at all. However, at $21.5k, it’s hard pressed to find a better crossover at a better price, even used (with ~0 mileage and a 2018). I’m also factoring mpg into my numbers for cost of ownership over the next 2-3 years - I wish the older Leafs had better range. Those would work great and are a great price used … if they could go more than 60 miles in a charge (we used to lease one several years ago).

Update: got the offer on the 2018 Kicks SR down to $20,523 instead of $21,523 when I asked about purchasing instead of leasing.

Edit: to the dealership’s credit, they are really trying to make this work out for us. So, there’s that. It may be coming down to $20,023 (they’re trying to qualify us to get it there).

Go look at an equinox or terrain, an LS equinox might work for you

1 Like

Great suggestion. Thanks. Looking into them now.

Keep in mind that GM is running employee pricing for everyone this month, my interpretation of that is mediocre deals for everyone. In my experience, employees never bought when this promotion was going on because the rebates were typically lower.

1 Like

Is it odd that they have less impressive promotions for the end of year sales? It seems like this is the time they’d be going all out.

You would think, wouldn’t you? But someone in another thread mentioned the deals this month don’t seem very impressive.

I was in the market about 2 wks ago. Many dealers didn’t seem eager at all to deal. Maybe lots of customers are throwing away $ and so the dealers don’t have to? ::shrug::

Huh, question then - are the offerings so mediocre that I should wait until January? My current lease doesn’t expire until mid-January.

Surprised you are not considering Toyota trucks or highlanders. Toyota Tacoma’s going for like $220-$300. If I was looking for under $300, I wouldn’t look past a Tacoma.

Who knows what the numbers will be next month. My previous car had a significant mechnical issue, so I didn’t have much time. I ended up just buying a car; if you like the Kicks and the price is right for puchasing…

I think the deals are not bad. Check out Tricia’s posts in the Chevy Bonus Tag Leases thread.

That second deal is for a $30k Equinox LT for 195+tax with 700 to start. You need Costco and a competitive lease for this but the upside is you get 700 back from Costco.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m looking into this now. So far, I’ve found about five new 2018 Equinox’s in Georgia, two that are LT’s. I’m still widening my search and inquiring as I find them (most seem to be pre-owned/pre-certified for 2018’s).

Test drove the highest trim kicks to lease for my mother in law to cart our kids around. Heater faux leather, bose stereo. Was impressed for the pricepoint. Would be perfect;, slow as dirt, great gas mileage etc. Issue is sign and drive was $325 a month. Looking at terrain…

ha, yes! It seems great, until you get to the lease price. It seems, for now, the Kicks might be a better buy than a lease. I’m looking into the Equinox now (and the Terrain soon). Too bad both don’t get the mpg that the Kicks gets (when not on diesel).

Get a used Soul or something similar …the Kicks has no brand value or history, so you are not really sure how resale values will look and the lease pricing is awful

So, here’s the kind of pricing I’m getting back - this is for the Equinox LT 2018. This is the ‘quote’ the dealer sent me - not sure why it’s handwritten. Again, it’s just terrible. :frowning:

See the 19 rogue sv thread I just made. 1400 (inception fees and 1st month) then 250 with tax a month. Works out to about 280 sign and drive. My tax area is high.

I think he’s doing the math wrong. Doesn’t that one line say “Residual” followed by $13,551? That’s close to 61% of the sales price, not MSRP (which on an Equinox LT would be near $28k at least). Plus that money factor seems high for GM. I guess that dealership has to pay for a lot of pens, though.

Wow, that’s bad.
Honcker has the Equinox 1LT for $250/mo with just first month at signing on 36/12k here in NJ.

That’s what I was seeing as well. I don’t think this guy knew what he was doing. I emailed him back … and have yet to hear back. I think it’s a lost cause - on to the next dealer. :frowning: