NEW 2018 BMW 328d $210/month

They are probably coming to the realization that once lease support is gone, it will be difficult to unload these. It’s easy to get someone to do a 2 year lease on a car they might not considering at first. Doubt you could switch somebody looking to buy from gas to diesel. I don’t think they are very popular. Are they continuing it in the new body style?

Nope - the diesels are dead and gone, dead and gone … I can almost bet that after the lease is up, BMW will beg the lessee to buy it out for pennies on the dollar …

UPDATE: Alexander Schmuck, BMW Product & Technology Communications Manager, has provided Motor1.com with a clarifying statement about BMW’s diesel future in the U.S.: “The all-new BMW X5 will launch with 2 gasoline variants (xDrive 40i and xDrive 50i) and a PHEV variant is planned to follow in 2020 as a 2021 model year. The final decision as to whether or not the BMW X5 diesel variant will come to the U.S. market has not been made. BMW of North America continues to monitor customer preferences and is prepared to adjust the product portfolio accordingly.”

BMW is joining companies like Toyota and Honda in abandoning the diesel technology. However, the Bavarians won’t kill its diesel powertrains entirely, but will only discontinue them in the United States. 2018 model year will be the final for diesel-powered BMWs in America, a spokesman for the company has confirmed to The Car Connection earlier this week. In return, the automaker will focus on plug-in hybrid electric vehicles.

1 Like

That just furthers my argument, smart dealers are dumping these things.

1 Like

BMW doesn’t negotiate buy out price.

I believe they did for i3.

Nissan doesn’t negotiate either…until they did for the Leaf because they weren’t worth squat on the auction block.

BMW was doing huge lease buy out negotiations in the downturn a decade ago. 5 figure residual drops to not have to take all the cars back and then to auction.

Yeah that was the worst recession in memory. If you’re expecting that again there are more things to worry about than negotiating RV

If I remember correctly, there use to be some deal with BMW that if you returned your car to the original dealer, they had to buy it out. BMW was trying to keep values of lease returns inflated, the work around was to have your customer return it to a different dealer.

I think you may be confusing a couple different things.

There was some sort of rule that a BMW dealer had to buy a certain amount of returns being grounded but not all of them.

What I think you may be referring to is a loophole with regard to sales price when grounding a car that was closed last year.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1281042

Of course, that just means “BMW doesn’t care about the US market or it’s customers since they aren’t willing to just give the car away for free,” or retrofit it with every possible option not originally purchased for no charge to you.

1 Like

I just assume the Germans are always trying to work the system, emissions conclusion anyone? They’ll definitely be taking a bath on my fart car when I return it, and probably most 2018’s.

1 Like

And for sure my 2016 328d wagon (buyout in 5 mos of $35k, Vroom value $25k) and my 2017 i3 Rex (buyout in 4 mos of $32k, Vroom value of $17k)…

I don’t know how they do it with the i3. Ive had 4 of them and every single one has had massive differential (on paper) at lease end.

1 Like

Can you still use lease incentives on a 328d loaner with 6000 miles?

Not unless car has < 5,000 miles

No [2020202020]