My lease will expire in 4 months, how to hand over?

Go on some road trips

You’ve had the car for 20 months and put on only 6K miles?

You must really hate it.

2 Likes

You are way past the point where you can transfer it to someone else. To finish it early, you will either need to get Vroom, Carmax, etc to buy it for the buyout price or pay the remaining payments and disposition fee.

1 Like

Contact the dealer and ask to see if you could return a couple of months early. Then make an inspection appointment with the number they provide you. Last, print out inspection results, which the inspection company emails to you, and make a lease return appointment with the dealer. Be sure to negotiate off the disposition fee and minor wear and tear in lieu of low milage. Good luck.

Ditto. Have the dealer match. You never know maybe your breakeven right now.

Check Vroom or Carvana to see if you have any positive equity to apply to a new lease. In other words, see if the current market value of the car exceeds the residual/buyout amount listed on your lease contract.

2 Likes

I’ll bet you’d get a better deal if you doused the inspector with gasoline and then torched him front of the dealership.

3 Likes

This isn’t a thing… The disposition fee is in the contract that was signed. You don’t negotiate it away.

2 Likes

Yup - they have some pretty inflated trade in prices right now

Any Chevrolet dealer? Any website allow us to contact these local dealers and appraise automatically?

Can anyone please confirm if we could turn in Chevy cars early in San Francisco bay area?

can you ask the dealer you picked it up from and see?

You can ask that it be waived. I did that once and they did waive it probably because my vehicle was in excellent condition and under mileage by about 800 miles on a 12K mileage lease for three years. Didn’t have equity. It never hurts to ask.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill

Called GM FINANCIAL, the buyout is $17,980 for Equinox LS 2017, with less than 6k miles.

Carvana offered $16,914
VRoom offered $15,750
Kbb offered $15,201

There are four months remaining, with $97 per month, and $395 deposition fee.

Would it be advised to simply turn in the vehicle to a dealer early?

Sorry what is the equity are we referring here?

If there is a positive difference between trade value and the amount owed on the lease (primarily the lease balance).

Why do you want to turn it in early? To save on paying insurance on it or to free up a parking spot?

1 Like

I turned in my Chevy lease two payments early, to save a few bucks on insurance and to free up a parking spot. Also, I did the lease inspection like 4 months before the lease was up, and the inspection is only good for 45 days. I had $0 in damages, and I didn’t want to risk damaging the car in the last couple of months of the lease (like the kids running their bikes or skateboards on top of the car).

So after the inspection, I contacted a Chevy dealer just couple of miles from my house. I didn’t lease the car from there because they didn’t have any in stock at the time, so I leased the car from a dealer about 17 miles away. The local dealer never returned my calls or emails about the lease return. I talked to a rep there, but they just directed me to voicemail. After several attempts over couple of days, I just took it to my original dealer. They took it, no problem, and grounded the car. Took me all of 30 minutes. Took a Lyft back home.

After a few weeks, I got a letter from GMF saying that they’re going to auction off my car. Just yesterday, after like 2 1/2 months after officially grounding my car, I finally got the final bill for the last two payments from GMF.

Will the auction price affect your final bill?

No, you are still responsible for the rest of your payments unless someone is willing to pay the rest of your lease or buy you out like CarMax and Vroom.