Inside Miami's Luxury Car Hustle

This will really hit home to anyone from S.FL. This is why dealers in Miami get away with crappy lease deals and people are still leasing them, it’s all about the ego and the need to “fake it 'til you make it” in this place. A lot of dealers know how to exploit that. I thought this was so entertaining.

13 Likes

Such a sad story. I feel bad for that guy. I guess yolo. I work in a small office with about 60 engineer making between 150 to 400 a year. There are a handful of Audis, Mercedes, Bimmers, and Telsas. The rest are clunkers.

4 Likes

You’ll never “make it” if you pay $1500/mo for pretentious reasons. With some exceptions, “making it” requires leveraging debt and taking calculated risks. $1500/mo should get you about $2-300k of loans to start a passive cash flow business.

But by all means. Yolo away…

4 Likes

That’s funny I happened to watch this this morning too, very telling that these guys sub lease their own rentals.

Is that even allowed? I never really read up on it

Nope, totally illegal but everyone featured in that video does it or did it it seems haha

They’re going to have a lot harder time “making it” when they get a judgement for $175k against them from the leasing company if they crash it. I’d imagine turo’s guarentee wouldn’t cover violating your lease contract.

2 Likes

Guess he figures you can’t take it with you when your number is up.

Sad, sometimes it can suck living here.

3 Likes

I didn’t have the patience to watch that assclown talk any more, but I’m betting his number will be up when he OD’s. :-1:

2 Likes

Yeah that dude was the worst. Do yourself a favor and watch the last 4 mins though. You’ll feel better. Haha

1 Like

Ohhhh, thanks. Good idea. Although I would preferred the ending to involve that douche in a shark-filled ocean.

2 Likes

His skinny little ass will be in jail soon enough. Shark-filled ocean seems like an appropriate metaphor :joy:

Love how the d-bag talks down on “fakers,” yet that is what his total existence is based on.

@11mins - smoking in the rental Ferrari? Really!?

1 Like

In my youth in a moment of ignorance I enjoyed the benefits of driving a luxury rental on SoBe. I spent so much on parking and saved so much on drinking. I think the best rental on SoBe was a scooter, left it on the side of the road, enjoyed riding on Ocean Dr. and met nicer chicks (The Bentley/Ferrari Ladies were a little to good for themselves)… LOL I would not do it now but I understand. My last trip to SoBe I rented a vette.

1 Like

Engineer making 400k a year? What are they designing? Unicorns?

4 Likes

VP. Actually, I don’t know what a VP makes, but it’s a rough estimate based on what a director, senior director, and senior director II makes. The executive staff are hesitant to post their salaries on glassdoor. Most of us in the office are staff and principal engineers so 150 to 175ish. Not really sure if it’s true, but I heard that at VP level, about half of their compensation comes purely from performance bonuses.

Lots of engineers make > 400k. Especially in software

1 Like

Total comp or pure salary? Only high level like senior director and VP’s make that much.

Check out most software engineer positions at Google/Facebook/Netflix.

Definitely total comp. The base is under 200k and the rest is stock, bonuses, etc. Idon’t know many companies which pay straight cash to senior engineers (Netflix does I think)