I skipped the 15K service on my Infiniti QX60...Will I be charged extra on return?

After finding out my 2017 Infiniti QX60 is worth $5K less than residual value (about $27K wholesale vs. $32.2K option to purchase) my plans have changed, and I’ll be turning it in to Infiniti.

Here’s my question:

I refused to pay for the 15K service, which was around $800. Seemed crazy to pay that much for some filters and oil, so I’ve just been doing the oil myself. Upcoming is the 30K service, which is well over $1,000 - this is another story, but I’m definitely not doing that one either (that, or turn it in just before it ticks over 30K miles.) Does Infiniti bill for this skipped 15K service to the tune of $800?

Not to tack on a completely different question, but can anyone confirm that it’s best to just turn in with minor damages instead of fixing? Sounds like AIM is pretty owner-friendly with their assessed damages. For me, it’s a crack in the windshield - and possibly worn tires.

Thanks in advance.

You should look for a lease turn-in guide from the leasing company. It will usually have a guide showing what damage and wear will be charged for after you turn in the vehicle including how much tread will need to be on the tires to avoid a charge.

Your lease agreement should state that you are responsible for maintenance on the vehicle, so they very well may charge you. The best advice I can give you is to find an independent shop to do the work and save the receipts. It will be much cheaper. The A0 service for my CLA45 is between $600 - $800 at a Mercedes dealer or $200 or less from a local shop that is certified to work on the vehicle. Guess which one I picked.

2 Likes

I’d say the likelihood they charge you is pretty small. I’ve never been asked to show receipts for maintenance done when returning a car. It’s more of an ethical debate than anything, as you’re required to maintain the car per the contract.

That said, should there be a component failure from lack of maintenance before you turn the car in, you could be on the hook should you not have receipts and it’s denied warranty. That would be my biggest concern.

A crack in the windshield will be excessive. Get the inspection done early enough that you can see the charge they will assess vs you going through your insurance, then decide to fix or not. Likewise with tires. You could always buy a set of used ones with enough tread to pass after they assess the charge (if any)

Lastly, if staying in family (Nissan or Infiniti), they will waive 500 in excessive damage when signing the new lease. If you’re going elsewhere, that courtesy wouldn’t apply.

2 Likes

I just turned in my 2015 QX60 and I followed the maintenance schedule where all I did was change the oil, oil filter and rotated the tires every 5000 miles. Four of those oil changes where free offers from the dealer or Infiniti. I also replaced the air filter as as needed by doing it myself.

According to the maintenance schedule for your car (https://owners.infinitiusa.com/content/manualsandguides/QX60/2017/2017-qx60-owner-manual.pdf), there’s nothing special about the 15K or 30K service.

The key fob battery is $1 and can be done by yourself when the battery is low. In-cabin air filter can be done by yourself. Brake fluid replacement at 20K shouldn’t be that expensive.

1 Like

I just do oil changes at the dealership on my leases and save the receipts, never had anyone ask for them in the 6 or so cars I’ve leased(or any kind of service records). Pass on all the blinker fluid flushes etc, most of those services are BS inspections and overpriced cabin filter replacements. I do like to do the oil changes there because they if there are any recalls etc or warranty items, they might notice and take car of them. Plus it gives you some plausible deniability if something is wrong with the car, “oh well i brought it in and nobody said anything about the blinker fluid being low”

Oh and brake fluid replacement on a 36 mo lease is overkill.

Nissan and Infiniti are very liberal. To the point I’d be apprehensive purchasing an off lease vehicle from either brand. Just save your receipts. Another option is to take it to a Nissan dealer for the service, recently did and the 5k service was 40 bucks.

Thanks! Did you need to show any proof for replacing the air filter yourself (or any other DIY parts of the maintenance schedule?) Did AIM go as far as checking the cabin filter or air filter?

I doubt they will even know.

They don’t go that in depth. They check the overall condition of the car very well (bumps bruises etc). They check paint thickness for possible repaint (if the repair was done right, this isn’t an issue, but it’s noted). They start the car and make sure there’s no funny noises or warning lights. They’ll check for rips and tears and any big stains that cannot be removed, a spare tire (if applicable), and it’s tread depth. They read depth of the existing 4 tires. They don’t start poking into fluids, belts, hoses, filters, wiper blades, etc.

It’s a thorough check of the body and interior condition, and a general check of engine operation, and warning lights. If there are any warning lights on, you’d be wise to get those issues rectified though (I’m not talking low washer fluid)

nobody is gonna inspect to see if you put in a new oil filter/air filter/ etc etc. The Maintenance is on you, most of the extra stuff like service packages include a lot of extra profit for the dealer and can be done pennies on the dollar anywhere else, with that being said unless you are taking your car to the track every weekend(funny cause you’re in a suv) your brakes should be ok, if you feel worried have an independent shop take a look at the pads and rotors. As far as the excessive wear goes you just have to look at the guidelines. I wouldn’t worry about skipping one of those services, as long as you do the necessary stuff.

You just need to make sure any service lights/reminders aren’t on. If you can easily reset them then you are good. No body looks into pads/rotors etc. Tires, Scratches, windshield cracks is all they would be concerned about.

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill

Removing troll-esque comments…:stop_sign: