Hold dealer to an advertised price on dealer website

How do you hold dealer to an advertised price on their website ?

When I called they refuse to honor the price and are adding dealer options. Multiple Jeep dealers are doing this in So Cal, I am not asking for discounts that I don’t qualify for.

I am shopping for a Jeep Wrangler in So Cal.

Any ideas ?

Thank you in advance for help !

Post the link. What are they adding on?

They wont honor 32,998 and are adding options that I don’t need. Options are some paint protection plans, protection for tires etc…

They aren’t giving you the 3k dealer discount? I think if they want to add the extras I don’t think you can stop them. All the ad says is you are getting 3.5k discount.

I had the same issues with another dealer in So Cal when trying to buy my wife’s Grand Cherokee in La Puente. I negotiated the purchase price over email, dropped off my wife to sign papers, an hour later she calls me to say that they presented her papers for a purchase price of 2k over MSRP! Went back to the dealer, picked her up, called the sales manager an FN A hole then went an bought a Land Rover.

7 Likes

Standard bait and switch, you can’t force dealers to advertised prices when they don’t have that exact car without addons etc

1 Like

I have requested to speak to the GM of the dealership, it will be an interesting conversation.

Has anyone tried using ‘Yelp’ or ‘Google reviews’ to deal with the bad behavior ?

Thank you all for responding.

Doubt you will ever talk to the GM. Bad reviews probably won’t help them wanting to do business with you. They will just want you to go away

1 Like

You can leave a bad review and you may get a comment saying "call us to discuss "

They will just say it is a misprint. BMW of Vista posted $18k off a 2018 X5 and wouldn’t honor it

They usually have fine print to fall back on why they can’t honor certain prices - like oops we screwed up.

Personally, I don’t negotiate off an ad. 99.9% of the time, they tack on every available rebate you might not qualify for, have cash down as a requirement or have 1 car it’s available on that doesn’t have the options I want or is tied to a stock number that sold weeks ago. Instead, I work the lease out at home using a realistic discount and knowing what rebates I qualify for. If they don’t bite, I move on to someone else.

Ads are almost always misleading…if it’s too good to be true, it probably is. It’s just not worth my time to play games.

2 Likes

There is nothing for them to “honor.” Scroll to the bottom of the ad and click on “Incentives” to see all the ridiculously restrictive incentives they are applying.

Then scroll down further to find these footnotes:

Disclaimer:

• Payments calculated with 10% down payment and an interest rate of 3.9% for 72 months. Payments do not include; Sales Tax, Lic Fees, Doc Fee, CA State Tire Fee or any dealer installed accessories. APR available from select lenders as of todays date and based on Tier 1 credit approval, not all buyers may qualify. Please see dealer for complete details. Also show this rate on the calculator.

• Dealer makes no guarantees or warranties, either expressed or implied, with respect to the accuracy of any data listed on this page which was obtained from third party sources. CHAMPION’S internet advertising is intended for California residence only.

• MSRP is the Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of the vehicle. It does not include any taxes, fees or other charges. Pricing and availability may vary based on a variety of factors, including options, dealer, specials, fees, and financing qualifications. Consult your dealer for actual price and complete details. Vehicles shown may have optional equipment at additional cost.

• The estimated selling price that appears after calculating dealer offers is for informational purposes, only. You may not qualify for the offers, incentives, discounts, or financing. Offers, incentives, discounts, or financing are subject to expiration and other restrictions. See dealer for qualifications and complete details.

• Images, prices, and options shown, including vehicle color, trim, options, pricing and other specifications are subject to availability, incentive offerings, current pricing and credit worthiness.

2 Likes

Only way to combat this is to NOT give that dealer your money.

Agreed to move on, this dealer seems to have the best price advertised in the area / state.

Whats the best way to approach others for best deal ? Just email / talk to internet sales managers at dealerships ?

There has been countless threads that go over guidelines other hackers have used to approach getting a good deal!

Use the search function and browse the website for a little bit and you’ll find tons of information.

The problem is these dealers still continue to exist even if we all on this forum avoid them like plague. All of us is still not enough to hurt them where money is in order to change their behavior.

I don’t see that as a problem. You control your own money, not other peoples.

Just don’t give them patronage.

I used to drive through this one area back in Sacramento where the local Nissan dealership would always list some Altima at a low price on the billboard next to the highway and than in some small print it’ll say only 1 at this price. Most likely if anyone went there they’ll end up saying that car is no longer on the lot, advertising tricks aren’t new in the auto business at all.

Between rebates you don’t or can’t qualify for and they could also use some credit score excuses not to hold true to their advertising.

Latest Update, I was able to get the Wrangler at the advertised dealer by just showing up there and gave them comparables from dealers around in So Cal.

Wanted to share the story and like to thank you all for your time and help on the subject !!