Has anyone tried Google Maps/Waze in Apple CarPlay now that iOS 12 is out?

One of the new features in iOS 12 (released yesterday) was 3rd party map/gps apps working in CarPlay.

I haven’t updated to iOS 12 yet but was wondering if anyone here has and can share their experience using Waze or Google Maps. Even more helpful if it’s in a Jeep since that what I have.

Thanks!

Waze and Maps don’t support it yet, still in private beta, The Verge did an article about it the other day.

Oh man that’s disappointing. That’s my main reason to update! Have a link to article?

Never mind I found it

Google Maps just got the update released like 5 minutes ago. So if you like what you see in that article, update and Carplay will work.

1 Like

lol wow talk about real time updates over here. Thanks!

I just updated my phone, and Google Maps. I’ll report back after my 2 hour drive home (traffic…yay!)
I’ll take some screen shots too, and post them up. I saw in a video, that it has satellite imagery, should make my KIA feel more like an AUDI…just kidding.
Nick

1 Like

Google maps works in my Tiguan car play fine with iOS 11, are you talking about a different thing?

I don’t think so… one of the features that Apple specified in the iOS 12 release was the ability to use 3rd party mapping apps like Waze and Google Maps.

Maybe you’re thinking of Apple Maps?

It isn’t Google Maps. That’s Apple Maps

Google Maps CarPlay is pretty awesome.

3 Likes

Is there an ability to just use the regular map and not 3D?

Yes. When you select North Up, or the standard map view it goes 2D.

I connected to the maps on my iPhone while driving and it showed me [iphone error 4005] I checked my GPS and other location settings as well. Why did this happen ???

No idea what that means. However, I have found that my CarPlay randomly disconnects quite often. Idk if it’s an issue with the software, the car or my phone…

I’ve done Waze. Tbh, while it keeps me moving vs sitting in traffic, it still routes me as long or longer than iDrive would to work. The cop feature is nice though. I haven’t had any issues thus far.

I have been using Google maps and Waze via CarPlay for 2 months now. No issues so far. Absolutely love it!

1 Like

Typically it’s the wire. Have you tried a different cord? I’ve used it on rental fords and wife’s Hyundai with no issues except once in a blue it’ll freeze up.

yeah, i second this on a car that doesn’t run CarPlay WiFi. I was banging my head against a wall trying to figure out why it worked one day in my wife’s car, and didn’t the next. Just for giggles, replaced the cable (which still worked otherwise for charging), and voila…problem solved.

Ya I’m actually on my 2nd wire… both official Apple wires. Really stumped. Basically it’ll disconnect from CarPlay but still charge so something does remain connected. Really frustrating esp during calls

I have been using Waze with ACP now for a few weeks. It froze once or twice, and the interface with my car is not as intuitive as it is with using it on your phone for moving to see traffic ahead. Overall I would give it an A-