Genesis G70 reportedly going on sale this week

Saw this on /r/cars. Looks like a pretty good value with a lot of standard safety options. What does everyone think? I’m guessing it will be pretty hard to get a good deal on it initially.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/genesis-announces-2019-g70-pricing-starting-at-34-900--300715521.html

Perfect timing for my expiring Genesis lease next year. Can’t wait!

2 Likes

hopefully has better lease support - sub 50% RV on current models are a killer. i’m up on my genesis g80 lease next month and the quotes i’m currently getting are driving me to competitive model(s).

On paper this could be my next car. I had a Hyundai Genesis (G80 now) for 45k miles and really liked the car. I only wished it was lighter with a shorter wheelbase for more driving engagement and less isolation. G70 meets my expectations and the 2.0T Elite AWD looks to be great value at $43k with pretty much every option I want in a car (cooled seats, heated steering wheel, full LED headlights, memory seats, great infotainment with built-in nav, parking sensors etc.). 3.3T Advance looks great too but in AWD form it comes with 225 tires, which could be a problem for a twin turbo V6.

Let’s hope there will be decent discounts and reasonable lease terms (RV in 50% range with MF near 0) so the 2.0T Elite can be leased for mid-$300s or 3.3T Advance for less than $400 by next summer.

I think the car is based on the kia stinger – for $300 it could be a steal –

225 Tires aren’t that big of an issue on this platform with AWD. I have a Stinger GT in AWD with 225 fronts and 255 rears. Turn in is great.

I would lease this in a heartbeat, but I feel the payments will be high initially. I was told January by a Genesis dealer but who knows. The pricing came out and looks great, I think they will lease better than a stinger though. I guess we will have to see.

Yes, having the 255 rears would be great but the Genesis Advance 3.3T AWD comes with 225 at the rear as well. These are rwd platforms so most of the time that is where all or most of the torque goes. Hard to put down 376 lb-ft effectively with 225s in my opinion…

If they lease better than the Stinger then I will definitely trade mine in for a 2.0T with the manual.

I’m sure it’s possible to find 255s for the AWD.

My A5 had a square set of 255s with the sport wheels. Handled great.

255s are available for AWD on higher ($50k-ish) trim levels…

Good looking car.

No problem, then!

Does anyone think we can get this for less than 1%. The MSRP is quite reasonable.

Probably not. RV and MF have not been great for the Stinger or some of the Genesis models. I’m sure there are outliers and exceptions.

The difference here is in the brand. The purpose of the Stinger is to improve brand image, so perception is more important than individual sales. But Genesis needs to actually sell vehicles and that means competing. Hyundai may decide to be aggressive with the G70 since cars in its class are primarily leased. I think they have avoided sub-venting G80 leases because they are afraid that sub 500 dollar leases “cheapen” the image of the car.

1 Like

Mercedes and BMW do sub-500 dollar leases on their Premium Sedans from time to time and I don’t think anyone in the market thinks it “cheapens” the brand. They flock to those cars when they get that cheap.

I think the G70 will be positioned as a entry level car competing with the BMW 3 series. The lease rates should be attractive. Heck Honda is giving 20% off before incentives on the accord — a car with much lower margins.

20% off new Accords? Where do I sign?

You don’t. You just bought a car. Lol.

1 Like

yeah, but I’ll resell them for a profit. hahaha.
I searched and did find 1 person who got 20% off, supposedly. Quite shocking for a Honda.

1 Like