Genesis G70 might be the next Hyundai Genesis lease craze

Alex from Alex on Autos just posted on Facebook about the Genesis brand and explained how the last minute change in their launch strategy left them with ton of G70s sitting at the port with no licensed dealers to sell them in most states. The longer those cars show up in Hyundai’s finished good inventory the more willing Hyundai should be to move them once more dealers are licensed to sell G70s. I sure would like a G70 if I can lease one with similar dealer discounts and manufacturer incentives as I did back in 2015 with then Hyundai Genesis that had a similar inventory overload issue…

mmhmmmm, I won’t hold my breath. I mean it’d be great if Hyundai would do something to move these on great lease terms but given their actions so far with the brand…we’ll see.

Saw this as an ad on Jalopnik.

I could not find the specific information for this deal when clicking on the ad or any of the websites I visited operated by Genesis dealers.

I’m starting to believe it’s not obtainable.

hmm looks like it’s $3,699 due at signing? and you get an extra $1k off if you’re got a current Genesis lease. So $462 a month? Not completely unacceptable I suppose.

I work for a Hyundai-Genesis dealer in Florida in Finance, where we still can’t get shipments of new Genesis until the legal wranglings are completed.

Just for fun, I contacted Genesis of Atlanta, which has 12 G70’s in stock, for a base 3.3 T with MSRP of $45,400 they wanted $586 per month with $3000 down LOL…and I get the $1000 conquest cash (leasing a Lexus) and $2500 Lease Cash.

For the $46000 2.0T Sport G70 with the hooked up wheels? $620 with $3000 down LOL…they will be collecting dust for awhile at those payments…they keep wanting to sell them at MSRP or over MSRP, I get it due to the shortage, but “c’mon man!”

3 Likes

I haven’t seen any on the roads and the dealer that’s had them before when they first arrived still have the same number on their lots… I haven’t seen any movement on them. At some point the dealers are going to have to recognize the shit storm they’re inducing on the market…

They’re setting themselves up for failure in the long run for that sweet sweet upfront profit.

I’ve spoken to two Genesis dealers in the last month - the one I leased my 2015 from and the one I turned that lease in just a few weeks ago. To date, neither has a repeat Genesis buyer (I would’ve been one if it wasn’t for the atrocious pricing I was getting). Very unhappy dealers with how Hyundai is rolling out this brand. When I handed over the keys he asked what was my replacement lease - “BMW” - I think I heard his heart fall into his stomach.

2 Likes

It was always going to be difficult to launch (or relaunch?) a new luxury brand from a mainstream manufacturer. Add in the fact the line up is only sedans and they’re charging a premium (that $620+$3k down is what, double the price of an equivalent 3 series?)

AND they can’t even get them to dealers to sell the bloody things or even show potential customers… It’s almost like Hyundai want it to fail.

I honestly don’t think Genesis will survive long with their current marketing strategy. There are only so many non-brand loyalists shopping cars at any one time and if they have no customer retention then I can only imagine how bad their quarterly meetings must go when they’re constantly in flux.

I think they’re trying to leap frog the market to being on the same level as the Germans. It took Lexus a decade or two before people finally accepted Lexus as a brand worth buying into and it took hard work put into the LS series.

Sure all the G cars are great… But they’re sedans in a crossover dominated market and what’s more… They’re actually more expensive than the established German brands. Terrible combination.

I think Lexus had issues too coming out and the only reason I think Genesis will succeed is the fact Hyundai is flush with cash and the Cars are solid. I still drive the original 09 Genesis Sedan 4.6 L -107k miles, looks and drives like it is brand new. I have had at least 10 people I know buy a genesis after riding in mine and doing the comparison to others in that class. If the GV80 is half of what they say it is that lineup of GV80, G80-90,G70 is pretty compelling. My MBZ was in the shop for something 4 times a year at least. I have had less than 5 issues in almost 10 years with my Genesis and every one of them was covered by warranty.