First time lease - 340i M sport

I think what’s happening here is they’re not unwinding the deal per se, but allowing him to change the amount of equity he is taking out of his trade in cash vs. putting into the deal. It’s just moving numbers around.

In WA and OR there is no grace period, so technically OP is obligated to the contract he signed.

I agree with this.

Try and stick to you’re guns and see what happens. It sounds like they are acknowledging that this occurred and at least trying (or pretending) to make it right.

At the end of the day, you’ll sleep easier at night knowing you at least put up a fight rather than rolling over when someone did you wrong.

As others have said, don’t beat yourself up, we have all been there and it sucks at the moment , but it’ll fade away regardless of the outcome.

Good luck, we are all rooting for you!

Also, you may want to look at yelp reviews or other things that may give you more leverage, stories on their if they did the same to others or at least by mentioning it, they may get concerned about you leaving a detailed negative review to warn others not to buy from them. The Power social media could have on their business can’t be underestimated!

2 Likes

This is correct, they are just moving numbers around and that is all they ever did.

They simply took my initial “no”, then agreed and made it look like they compromised, and moved the numbers around and then presented it to me in a way that made me think that I had gotten my requests. They basically gave me the deal that I said no way to.

Got it - that makes sense.

At this point the most you can do is beg for mercy with the dealer - you’ve committed to the contract you signed. Everything else is a verbal dispute with them, including any misrepresentations. You can certainly take this to social media, or try, but no guarantees that delivers any results.

I would discuss what happened with the GM of the dealer, discuss your thought about posting your experience to social media, and see what they say. My guess is they’ll chalk it up to a misunderstanding/miscommunication and not offer you anything or give you a token of some sort for the trouble.

I would stay cool, calm, collected, and factual in any discussions. The second you become emotional or frame your statements in terms of “I think, I feel, etc” you lose credibility. Not that your feelings don’t matter, but they cloud judgment and ability to tell an objective story.

1 Like

Pretty much this.
I think my best bet is to ask for what I said, they can keep $3k, they got to set the payments and the interest rate and I’ll ask for the lease protection thrown in.

It sucks but I screwed up and I don’t want to blow this up into WWIII. Technically, I suppose this could be considered fraud, but it would be really hard to prove and I’m not interested in the least about a court case over $8,000.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

1 Like

It is neither good nor bad advise, It’s my opinion.
Question is: Why does he need a broker if he can learn and understand the process on his own?Buying cars is not a rocket science. And if we have a forum such as this, why can’t person utilize it to ask questions and educate himself , and use his acquired knowledge to do better next time they go to buy or lease a car?

1 Like

You could’ve applied every sentence in your post to yourself and get that elusive C300. You are so full of it…

3 Likes

They can. It takes time and experience to do so. If you could just jump on the forum, read a couple of posts, and make any deal, that would be great. It doesn’t work like that though. It takes time and experience to apply the principles learned here. It would have been a better use of money to pay someone to do that for him in this instance. He is obviously learning, but paying a steep price for it. There is also a cost for most people’s time. In my case, it’s worth paying someone who is an expert in negotiating for a vehicle, while I spend my time being an expert in another field to make money charging my clients for that time and expertise. I can make a hamburger and fries too, but it’s more cost and time effective to pay someone else to do it. He is going to be much more prepared for his next negotiation, and may feel comfortable doing it himself, or he made decide it’s still worth it to hire someone,

I guess being a moderator allows you to insult with impunity. Since I don’t care about it, I will return the favor and say that you are full of it like no other. I had C300. It was V6 C300 4Matic,with over $45K MSRP , with entertainment package. Paid $465 month with $0DAS, all fees and taxes rolled in. I will let it elude me now, I don’t think I should be getting it at this time and even $465 is too much. I will downgrade to Tiguan or go back to Acura if they give me incredibly good deal in exchange for my TLX. And, just to rub it once again, the C300 I had was brand new, not a used or demo car.

Yeah, we heard this story about 100 times already. Come back with your new deal, will you?

It would make a lot of sense if profit margins were large and one could save a fortune hiring a broker. But, the reality is that dealers don’t make fortune on cars. If your broker makes $1000 per transaction, that’s big and you as buyer will pay for it, because that money has to come from somewhere (whether you pay direct or he gets a kickback from the dealer doesn’t matter). I would actually be willing to run experiment. Spend half an hour telling a group of 10-15 totally clueless people how to get a good deal on a new car. Then , once they got their best deals, send them all to brokers and see how many would get a better deal with extra middle man involved.
I am not going to say that one must not hire a broker. I am just personally skeptical, not sure if it is worth involving a third party which will only increase the cost of transaction.

I will not come back with a good deal until I get rid of my current leased car, which has large negative equity. I can roll it into monthly payments of a new lease but it’s not worth it, it kills and negates whatever great deal I am able to get. One dealer recently promised to do just that, take care of negative equity and sell his car with heavy discount, which I personally felt was too good to be true, and sure enough it turned out to be a bait and switch.

That’s totally understandable. I couldn’t do anything in April for the same reason. But then why open a topic asking for help, then getting a great deal and then just reject it due to the wrong color?

These are fair questions. I will answer.

First of all, I started to look for a car a bit too early. It’s always good to start looking for a car ahead of the time , to check the market, know what is there and not be in rush. But this time I just started it way too early. I think part of the reason why is that TLX sucks, I just don’t like it’s transmission. I should have started to look only couple of month before my lease matures. Having started too early, I am really setting myself up for a failure. Even if I get the incredible deal (and I always start a deal without mentioning my car), I end up with it becoming unworkable when negative equity of my current car is considered And, while I entertained idea of paying it off myself if I got a great deal, in reality, when push came to shove I felt that I would be doing something stupid, whether I paid cash upfront or rolled negative equity into monthly payments. So, after going around, checking the market and regaining my confidence I decided to just live with my car little more, until I have 2 or 3 months left when I can be pulled out of it with the lest damage.

Why did I post and ask for help? Simply because when I started to call and send inquiries to dealers no one wanted to talk with me in a luxury market. It felt like there are way too many clueless people willing to pay large down-payments and full MSRP, so for a moment it seemed like no dealer is motivated any longer to work and make a good deal. But then , as I expanded my net and did a bit of legwork, I found that although it’s harder to get a great deal now than it was in years past, those are still doable.

Why I rejected wrong color? Because I didn’t like it. I am glad that I walked away. It was offered to me as a stand alone deal, so I would get stuck with color combination I don’t like and the car I currently have (which I also don’t like because of it’s transmission).

Dealers make a fortune on people who can’t or don’t negotiate. That generally takes a lot of time, effort, and knowledge. Using myself as an example, I can spend 20 hours sending out emails, researching prices, negotiating the deal, and hoping my information is correct. However, I can charge my clients $2000 for that time, pay a broker $400 or so, and come out way ahead. I can also watch YouTube videos and figure out how to fix my plumbing problem, or I could hire someone who already knows how to do it, and spend my time making money to pay the plumber instead.

4 Likes

I understand economics 101, had to take it in first year of college. I just think it’s such a thin profit margin area that engaging broker defeats the purpose. And if your time worth so much then why even bother to hire a broker? Be one of those who pay full MSRP without haggle. Or hire broker for the sake of helping broker make some money :slight_smile:

P.S. I think elderly people should be hiring brokers (hopefully the honest ones, who won’t take advantage of them). Because it’s truly challenging (if not impossible) task for an elderly person to do the research, let alone doing the leg work and hassle of negotiation.

You keep making the assumption that profit margins are thin. That is only the case when someone knows all of the facts about the deal including MSRP vs. expected discounts, incentives, money factor, etc. Look at the OP’s deal and tell me it was a thin profit margin deal. He would have have been well-served hiring a broker. I have only used he and myself as an example, while you are generalizing.

1 Like

Perhaps if OP didn’t want to do any research, ask around and learn anything, then hiring broker would be his best option. But it’s odd that someone capable of finding this forum, posting at length about his experience and break down of a deal he has got couldn’t spend fraction of his time and effort prior to walking into the dealership and making such a bad deal.