First Time Help--Demo Cars

Hi guys! Just joined after lurking for days and have some basic questions that I hope you can point me to resources or previous posts to help me with further research before I start approaching dealers.

Currently I lease a 2015 VW Jetta, which ends mid Feb. Currently considering a new Jetta (would prefer to wait for the net gen coming in the fall but probably not realistic), a Subaru Legacy, with an A4 or Q50 as my stretch goal. My budget is sub $300 and drive less than 10k miles/yr. and $0 down. Possible for the A4/Q50? Hoping with the sedan sales slump I’ll be able to get a good deal on something.

For the latter two, I’ve been reading lots about how dealer demos are the best deal going. My question is how does this process start? Do I locate the cars and then ask the dealer for their numbers? Or do I start with where I want to be and have them come back to me? When trying to figure out the deal, do I use the mf/resid found in the forums? Or are these different since its a used car?

Lastly, I’m in the NYC area, so any recommended dealers/sales people to start with?

I’m a terrible negotiator so I’ll be posting my deals for input from the forum.

Sorry if these are basic questions or if this isnt the right forum–just getting started. Thanks for any and all help!

For the demo cars, you find the car and approach the dealers. Sometimes you have to call and ask if they have any demo cars and then ask for the numbers.

If you aren’t good at negotiating, I recommend using a broker. Since you are in NYC, try talking to @nyclife, he’s excellent!