Extending Lease - Taxes

I am looking to extend a lease by a couple of months because I am not getting any good deals right now and the lease I signed 3 years ago was the deal of a lifetime according to the lease manager at Ford. Ford Credit extends leases no problem so I asked for a 2 month lease extension and they sent me the paperwork.

My lease is for $270/mo and I noticed there is a tax due with my first payment in the extension, but I thought I capitalized the sales tax into the lease payment when I signed the original lease.

I scanned the lease document:

PDF version here: https://1drv.ms/b/s!AhMobxVKZE_chSx3sumU1txqeFmy

This is what the extension looks like:
lease_extension

Can someone help me confirm whether the the taxes here is correct or not? Thanks!

I should also add that I don’t understand why it shows $6401.00 due at signing for item 5 in the original lease since I didn’t put anything down and never do.

I have no clue about the taxes, but 6b is quite clear in saying that there was $4750 in rebates and you paid $1651 cash at signing

You paid tax on the total amount of your lease payments. Now you are paying tax on additional payments. Seems like 13%, Holy Moses!

It shows I paid 1012.47 in taxes. Are you saying that was wrong? I don’t understand how that was calculated.

They are probably collecting the total (2 months’ tax @6.625%) upfront

Ah, I see that in the foot note.

No, where did I say you were wrong?

Sorry. I misunderstood. Doesn’t the $270/mo I am already paying include the taxes based on my original lease paperwork?

Your dealership cut NJ a check in full based on the total amount of payments, fees and rebates when you leased your car. Now you have additional payments that weren’t accounted for.

I am actually in the same boat. Hyundai is willing to extend my sonata lease up to 6 months. My taxes were rolled into my payments. I pay 176 with tax and only paid inception fees(dmv, bank, 1st month and tire fee and doc) at front. Now they want my payment plus tax or 192sh a month and I lease an 19 equinox Awd 1 lt for 216 a month. Same structure as my other… I guess I’ve been spoiled the last 6 years and last 4 leases…

Yeah I have heard from several people that the deals are not so good right now. Back in December 2015, I was leasing a 2013 ford fusion titanium for close to 400/mo and my lease was coming up in Jan 2016. The lease manager at the Ford dealership called me in early December and they did an early lease termination and lease me a 2016 with the same trim but even more options with nothing down for 270/mo.

I stopped by a couple weeks ago at Ford to see the lease manager and he couldn’t even find any dealer with the titanium trim because Ford is essentially killing off sedans. He said the dealerships are afraid to order them. He did find a couple lower trim fusions and he said those are gonna come out to over 400/mo for a lease. Crazy.

I went to a Honda dealership to look at the Accord 2.0L EX-L. It’s a really nice car and really nicely equipped. I don’t remember all the numbers but I think they wanted 379/mo with the taxes capitalized. I walked away and the salesperson called me saying they can offer it to me for $339/mo but it doesn’t include taxes… $359/mo if I capitalize the taxes. He then claims the 379/mo did not include the taxes, so maybe I heard wrong or they’re playing games.

I know I won’t get as good a deal as I have now with my Ford but I wanted to be under 330/mo with taxes capitalized so I extended my lease for 2 months and we’ll see in February if they are more desperate. What I am seeing now is they are selling a lot of cars and business is very good. I think inventories are also low so they’re not as desperate to cut deals.

Maybe someone could tell me what a realistic deal is for this Honda:

It depends what you’re looking to replace your current lease with. Yes interest rates have gone up considerably but there are still good deals out there. Jeep Grand Cherokee is good value depending on what trim they’re pushing in your state. Alfa Giulia is a great driving car and can be had for decent money, even if they’re a little more expensive than a few months ago. If you have a couple of months window to find a new vehicle then you could always try and snag something on swapalease if you’re aware of the downsides.