Create a Lease Proposal - Always Control the Deal

I’ve only leased two cars, but it still seems like overkill to me. to abuse a metaphor, you’re just trying to buy a sausage, not make the sausage yourself.

[quote=“altfuelcarguy, post:56, topic:52529, full:true”]
I’ve had excellent results by simply emailing a few dealers proposing basic terms (duration, mileage, drive-off, monthly) with reference to a specific stock number vehicle chosen from their online inventory. [/quote]

That’s pretty much what I did and it worked well.

Now, that being said, after getting a quote from a dealer, I asked to see their lease breakdown, one of the numbers seemed funny, and after hand calculating
(thanks leasehackr!) I realized that they were accidentally rolling a fee into the lease amount, and leaving it out saved me a hundred bucks or so.

so knowing how the lease is broken down is useful, I just can’t see myself leading with all that info first.

4 Likes

That’s essentially what I did to get my S-class yesterday (I posted a thread about it), but it wasn’t anywhere near as complicated.

Here is the exact email I sent my dealer:

"I just got the MF/RV August numbers on the 2018 S450 RWD, and they are 0.00034/51% for a 36/12 lease in our zip code.

With the premium 1 + driver assistance package, this car’s MSRP is ~$98K, but truecar suggests a very good (but still reasonable) deal at ~$90K, and that’s without incentives like loyalty, USAA and such. You can run the numbers yourself at this point, but with autopay and a couple of MSDs they do end up somewhere in the low-mid $1200s (with tax), on zero down (~$1700 driveoff).

I will want the prepaid maintenance though, so that stuff probably cancels out.

Do you want to have a look and tell me if this is something you want to work out?"

And that’s about the deal I got. So it worked exactly how I would have hoped it would.

8 Likes

Nice and sweet :+1:

2 Likes

will you consider negotiating a lease on behalf of a private individual?

Leasing cars is like talking to a girl. Just gotta be confident

1 Like

Hi Bob,
I don’t negotiate leases anymore. I’ll be glad to answer any questions.

Did you send this before or after initiating contact with the dealer?

After - he’s the same guy who leased me my last two cars (E-classes). At the same time, he’s also the one who told me in June and July that typical S-class leases right now go for $1700-$1800/mo, and was fairly insistent that a deal in the $1200s with $0 down was simply not possible.

Oddly enough, looks like he was right - until he wasn’t (due to Mercedes changing the MF/RV numbers the way they did in August, presumably to clear out any unsold 2018 inventory).

I’m pretty new to this leasing game so forgive me for asking the basics. In the calculator, the Agreed upon selling price that was negotiated with the dealer, does this number factor in any manufacture incentives like $4000 off or are incentives added to the Agreed Selling Price, hence making it lower?

Don’t let the dealer control. You are responsible for researching and determining all applicable incentives/rebates offered. Deduct the dealer incentives from the MSRP. Next, discount the MSRP by an appropriate % (e.g., 10%+) and, deduct that discount from the MSRP less incentives. This is the sell price that you need to negotiate with the dealer. Once you’ve agreed upon a sell price, it becomes the agreed upon value. You don’t add incentives to the agreed upon value. What is added are any items you wish to capitalize in the lease (e.g., dealer doc fee, acquisition fee, etc.). This gives the gross capitalized cost. From the gross cap, deduct cap reductions which may include customer cash incentives or rebates. The result is the net (adjusted) capitalized cost that is used to determine your lease payment.

4 Likes

Delta you nailed it, I sold BMW for 12 years and your was always successful with a few of my poecolio customers. Dealers will take a skinny deal handed to them. Trying to get the deal though in person is painstaking. We would agree to an amount net net over invoice.

2 Likes

High line non M, we would take 500 over on 3 4 x1. 6 and 7 1,000 over. Acq. Fee markup was included. Always at the buy rate.

I had to bring his offer which was in excel to the desk ankd it was done. We would make sure the lease was saved in desking and generate a deal# for the lease. Some special order deals might sit for 90 days ]

2 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Woman who wants to avoid being slimed - KIA Nero

7 posts were split to a new topic: 2018 Toyota Prius

Thanks for this. It helped me structure the numbers in a way I could use to send proposals out and understand how the calculator works. However, now that I’ve sent my numbers out to multiple dealers, I get responses like “your calculations are wrong” or “we can’t offer that MF because that’s the buy rate” or “the selling price differs depending on if you lease or purchase”. Then they try to sell me a different model when I tell them I don’t like their numbers. Grrr.

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Junk mail, spam, etc

You may want to PM me with your lease proposal so I can check your calculations. It seems to me that this dealer is jacking you around (e.g., “we can’t offer that MF because that’s the buy rate”… that’s BS). Now, the selling price can differ due to different manufacturer to dealer incentives for leases and purchases. I would try another dealer.

1 Like

@delta737h Where does the ~15% discount off msrp come from? Is that your starting number for negotiations?

I would tell you, but he will get very upset :slight_smile:

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe there was a 2,250 manufacturer to dealer incentive included in that 15% discount off MSRP. The actual negotiated discount was about 11.5% off of MSRP in addition to the 2,250 incentive. The dealer eventually accepted the proposal. To be honest, though, I wasn’t particularly pleased with the proposal but, it was the best I could do given the circumstances at the time.