Confessions of a mediocre negotiator

Oh and x plan and vw partner program are basically the same kind of deal. A plan is as cheap as you can get on Ford

Thanks for this. I basically said, I want 10% off on the Edge, and then he played the, well, this is my invoice cost.

I guess my question is, What’s the next play?

or would you just send an email to the internet sales manager which says,

"I’m looking for this car for [MSRP - 11%] I know people in the area are getting it. Can you do this deal. I’ve got x-plan or whatever if that helps. "

(And never get into invoice price, etc.

Thanks

If you are not afraid of getting rejected, you go there, sit down, and tell them what you could pay and stay put. Then walk out. They may call you back in a couple of days with a better deal. They always have hidden ways to bring your payments a little down.

1 Like

As stated before, do everything over the phone or email, don’t play the games, that’s all you’ll do if you go in

3 Likes

Your first mistake was talking to him in person. Don’t step in the door until you have the deal worked out in detail in writing.

I’d do a bunch of research to find out what people in the area are getting, and then I’d break down the entire deal you want (specify price before incentives, what the base mf is, etc.) and email a slightly more aggressive deal to the sales manager of several dealers. Let them counter and use those counters to play off different dealers.

1 Like

If you can get A plan, you don’t need to play all the games

Also, invoice cost is not what he paid for the vehicle. There’s generally lots of room to go below invoice, particularly on a car like the ford edge which isn’t really a hot commodity.

Simply saying I want 10% doesn’t work. You need to pick a car and email them a detailed quote. You have to show them you mean business and not just pulling numbers from thin air.

If you’re looking at Tiguan and Edge, take a look at Equinox. There was a good thread about it a day or two ago

1 Like

lol, one thing i have learned is, never ask dealers for % OFF, research what others are paying and what you are willing to pay.

Go into the dealership, tell them what you are willing to pay, if they can come closer, they will give you a counter offer, if cant, they will just kick you out like they did with me lol.

I went in to lease a durango for $550, dealer offered me 2 jeep renegades for that price and said durango cant do.

If you are fed up of BS, just call their internet business manager and ask for a quote, tell them you are going to want the delivery today.

Anyways good luck with your search, Fords AFAIK dont lease their SUV’s aggressively, the latest quote for Explorer i got was $700 with 5K down.

Go to another dealer, tell them you need a much better deal (by email). Then go back to the initial dealer and tell him what the other dealer gave you.

Sowmwhere on this forum there is a link to generate $2000 private cash offer for Ford. You that to get additional savings

Here is the link:

Doesn’t work with a or x plan

can you do better than a plan or x plan? The numbers for vw were 500 below invoice.

if the invoice is high, and it looked high to me…that’s not great.

Invoice was high on Ford, also.

Look in to Enclave. There are still good rebates on them.

Who cares what any of the prices are relative to invoice, if you’re looking to lease, the payment is what ultimately matters, yes negotiate the biggest discount, but in the end you’re really just talking about the payment, so MF’s and residuals and rebates/incentives are important. Find a vehicle or two that will work for you then start hammering away at dealers for the best deal. just because you got the biggest discount on one car doesn’t mean it’s the lowest payment.

1 Like

Good point.

I’m just coming from having heard the LH manta, never let them know you are leasing until you have locked down a good price. And with Fords having a low RV, (or VWs having a crazy high MF) it just seems had to get there from here without a low starting price.

Yeah I don’t completely agree with that, by not telling them your leasing, you could potentially miss out on a particular deal or car, you should be asking what the price is anyways. And if it’s a dealer that doesn’t want to disclose everything just move on.

That’s not a mantra here at all. Most people here know there are often purchase rebates that don’t apply to leases. And the sales guy isn’t paying attention to everything you say; if he thinks you’re buying he’s gonna quote you a lower number that includes purchase rebates. Regardless of whether you said “before rebates”.

2 Likes

agree with max and Joe. the whole concept of “don’t tell them if you’re leasing or buying” doesn’t work because the incentives are different on each.