Compact to Mid-sized SUV suggestions

I hear lots of talk about the Mazda’s.

1 Like

We looked at a Terrain last month, and she seemed to like it okay - but the dealer wasn’t interested in dropping the $1500-$2000 worth of dealer add-ons, and they didn’t want to discount it much at all.
Instead of getting a lease price under $200 a month, it was closer to doublet that. I didn’t pursue it with other dealers, but perhaps I should revisit that.

I recently did well on a Subaru Forester - the new 2019 MY is all new so most dealerships will probably be pushing heavier discounts during the summer. They have pretty decent residuals on the 2018s still and the MF for most trims is low. I did consider the Mazda CX-5 but the steepest they were willing to discount (across multiple dealerships) was 5% off MSRP, so it made it for pretty darn expensive monthly payment.

Phone and dealers internet department is your friend. Grab a screen shot of the $199 deal and start emailing/calling them and ask if they would match it before you come down. It might be half a days work but i am sure you will save over $1200 over the term.

There is no screenshot of a $199 deal though? Dealers will laugh at you if you show them a post from here. You need to negotiate selling price and flex cash on a Terrain. That is basically it

1 Like

go to this dealers home page and look at the moving banners. 1 of them is for the $199 deal. I get the dealer is in CA but atleast it gives you a starting point.

you can look at some tiguan numbers from this thread as a basic guideline:

There’s also the Buick Envision

Thanks! That VW thread gives me a target number to shoot for.

Not interested in the Envision, as it is more than I want to pay, and it’s more of a luxury car, which my wife does not want.

F[quote=“ptaylor, post:1, topic:42012”]
She doesn’t want anything fancy (no leather seats, etc) - she’s doesn’t want a luxury vehicle, but something practical.
[/quote]

Not considering purchasing instead of leasing? Sounds like purchasing a Honda CR-V or similar will fit the usage.

Well, if I could purchase a CRV with less than $1000 down and around $200 a month, then I’d be pretty interested in looking closely at the deal. My wife’s last two vehicles were Honda’s, so I think she’d like them, but I don’t think the payment can beat a very good lease on a Tiguan, if any dealers in my area will match the offer in the other thread.

We are just finishing the lease on our second Chevrolet Equinox LT, very well put together, economical and durable. Probably going to get another in the fall. We have kept the lease payment under $200/month with only first month payment, taxes and license up front. Very happy with this vehicle.

I’d look at the Jeep Cherokee Limited. Would come in under 300 p/m. If that doesn’t work then just get an Equinox.

Another good option - Thanks!

The Cherokee Latitude Plus looks like it would be closer to $200 a month (which is sort of my target). Don’t know which of these my wife would like the best, but this gives us some options to look at. Thanks again!

Latitude Plus won’t be closer to 200. Limited is cheaper than Latitude.

Ok, color me confused. On the Jeep website, it shows the 2019 Cherokee Latitude as the lowest MSRP, followed by the Plus, then the Limited.

But, it shows lease price for the Plus and Limited as almost the same, even though the MSRP difference is almost $4K and both leases show as 24 months… Some different incentives available than the ones showing up, perhaps?

RV/MF/incentives all play a part of lease calculations, not just MSRP.

It doesn’t matter, lowest sticker price doesn’t constitute lowest lease price. The Limited has better programs than the Latitude, making a base Limited cheaper than a base Latitude.

Right - The public stuff on their website is the same (incentive wise), but it looks like they have something special for the Limited…

Right now, in California, you can get a base model Equinox (Chevy’s version of the GMC Terrain) as low as $~3400 one-pay 24/10K – Chevrolet Bonus Tag Leases.

I am not sure how the numbers break down, but it’s something like $4,250 in rebates, and 8%+ off MSRP I am guessing…

That’s the cheapest Compact SUV I know off.

1 Like