Can you make modifications to a leased car?

Are you able to make modifications to a car on lease, such as:

• Powder coating rims a different color
  • Dropping the car a few inches
  • Removing badges/emblems/chrome trim

You can do whatever you want, as long as you return it stock.

Only exceptions would probably be a legal tint job.

Why would you want to spend money modifying a long term rental?

You really should do a search before you make new posts. Someone just asked the same question 2 days ago.

4 Likes

Yeah I really should.

Just cosmetic. I will be driving the car for three years and want it to look the best it can to my eye. I don’t plan on spending a ton of money on it. Just tint, possibly plastidip or powdercoat the wheels, and plastidip/powdercoat some of the excessive chrome trim on the car.

Do whatever you want. Just return it stock.

I have tints and exhaust done on my car. A lot can happen in 3 years. You could total the car, natural disaster, etc. Live your life and enjoy it now, worry about the grown up shit in 36 months.

2 Likes

do anything you want as long as when a problem occurs its not because of your modifications.

I leased a G37 coupe back in 2010. When I returned it, the car had a different OEM front bumper (IPL), different rims, lowering springs, and tint. They took it back no questions asked… didn’t even mention the modifications. Not sure if this is always the case but it worked out ok for me. Different auto makers might handle the situation differently.