Cadillac's new X1 fighter - XT4

Did Caddy get it right this time, or is it another Chevy with a wreath and crest?

I’m impressed that they created a whole new platform and engine for this vehicle.

I am not impressed that they dipped into their parts bin for the drive train and just about everything else. Initial impressions is that the driving is nothing to balk at, even though the interior is comfortable enough and not unattractive. In base-guise, it’s pretty price-conscious. However, to get the benefit of the Cadillac treatment, you’re spending closer to 55k/60k which is insane in my opinion for something in this segment (fully loaded, of course).

We shall see, I don’t see Cadillac dealers ordering a lot of base, stripped down models.

It’s a nice looking package, and the instrument cluster is much improved over the Chevy-esque current cluster in the ATS/XT5/CTS. I’m happy to see real buttons return as well as a scroll wheel for CUE. CUE is damn near impossible to operate while driving, and the scroll wheel should help tremendously in that regard.

Disappointed the engine is detuned. There’s also too much Chevy plastic on the bottoms of the doors. I’m also not sure why more and more manufacturers are moving to the gimmicky gear shifts…either the one found here, push buttons or a scroll wheel.

At any rate, time will tell how it does. I’m not sure it will be class leader, but don’t think it will be a bottom feeder either. Then again, whatever programs GMF throws at it will help/hurt it’s success.

oh look another 2L 4Cyl turbo. Sigh. Hopefully they’ll do a V version.

I know it’s subjective but I think they’ve done a good job of the exterior design. From the pictures it doesn’t look too much like a very slightly raised hatchback but I’ll wait to see it in person before deciding. There is a LOT of black plastic. However that interior is really very drab. It could be an improvement over other Caddy interiors but it already looks pretty dated and very GM.

These things are here to stay it seems - Sales in the US Premium Compact SUV segment rose by 23.7% to 70,770 in the first half of 2018, thanks to a remarkable 42.5% growth in the second quarter of the year

With the new Lexus UX, Audi Q3, Mercedes GLA, Acura CDX, RR Evoque just around the corner…it seems like a bit of a weak offering but then again nothing really stands out as an exciting choice, for me anyway. Maybe an X2 M40i would be interesting (though I’m sure it’d lease horribly)