BMW New Car Programs (and Retired Loaners with < 5k miles) - UPDATED 5/8/2019

Both can be applied if the car has < 5,000 on the clock

@BMW_Dave Hey could you let me know what incentives are there for purchasing a loaner 2017 thats barely over 5000 miles? The only one I know is the 0% APR. Can I apply college grad to it? Or some sort of VPP?

Would a car over 5000 be worth it to lease if it had an aggresive discount?

Thanks in advance Dave!

From what I understand, over 5000 miles is not worth leasing as the RV gets butchered and a lot of incentives won’t apply as well.

1 Like

What he said. :wink:

@BMW_Dave, I was looking into a 330i last month…MSRP 57k. When talking to the sales mgr, he mentioned that anything over 51k (I believe) is amortized instead of residualized in the lease calculations. It bumped the payment about 150 bucks, so I bailed.

Do you have any info on this? Is this just for loaners, the 330i specifically, or anything across the BMW Line? This was not a BMW Select deal. The sales mgr didn’t really go into much detail on it.

@mp11477 I remembered a previous thread about this and found @BMW_Dave’s response.

Thanks…I thought I asked him before. With that said, I’m still left in the dark as to what this is applicable to…330i specifically, loaners, across the entire line? Long story short, I’m looking at a couple X3s with a similar MSRP, so if this would be applicable to them, I’d stop wasting my time.

I just leased an X3 a week ago and the MSRP was 51,795 and the residual was $36,256.50 (70% of MSRP)

57k is a tad higher than 51,795…that’s the question.

I did the research and here is the ruling…$49,400 is the max MSRP for residual purposes on any 330i (Sedan or GT). It only pertains to this model, not the X3 or any others. So in your example @mp11477, you would use a $49,400 MSRP for calculating the residual even though the MSRP was actually $57k. And yes this will surely have a big impact on your payment. This also applies to loaner/demos with less than 5k miles.

I assume that was a 2017MY on a 24/10k term? If you can find any of those left they do make great leases. But the new body style is pretty awesome too! :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the info! I ended up with a 48k 320i instead. Great car, but I would have loved the extra power in the 330i. Hopefully they change this policy when I’m done with this one in 2 years.

Did some shallow calculations

It seems that, for X3/5, including all incentives, with around 23% or more off MSRP, it’s financially better to lease the 24 month :wink:

Just a rough estimate, we might need to take other factors into account, eg the tires’ wear or the excitment of always have a new car, which should bring the threshold down, or on the other hand, the acquisition/title/registration fee, which should bring the threshold higher.

2 Likes

Nice visual representation.
What are the X & Y axes? (X=%discount off MSRP, Y=payment as % of MSRP?), both with a MF of 0.00152?

1 Like

Finance charge isn’t impacted by term in the way that depreciation is. That is why the chart only needs to represent the depreciation component of the payment to get the split. Not to mention, depreciation is the majority of most leases unless you can get cap cost close to residual like on the i3 24 month leases.

Great chart, I did the same thing myself to sort of figure out that break-even point.

Always fun to get quotes on 36 month leases, work down on a price, then at the end being like “oh, btw can you make that a 24 month?” and see the payment fall another $50-60 a month. Always seems to shock the sales guys.

1 Like

So, just to clarify, is that on the RWD 330 sedan or does it also apply to 330 xDrive sedan, 330e etc? Are there different limitations for the 330e, 330 Wagon, and 340?

Yes 330 anything. 330e, 330i, 330xi, 330 GT, 330 Wagon.

At the risk of sounding completely dense, how is one supposed to calculate the residual on a higher MSRP car then? When I was hunting, most of the cars I looked at were 50k plus and were still quoting me standard residuals. E.g. if the MSRP was 55,965 on a 330e and residual was 67%, the number I was given was $37,496.55.

@28firefighter $49400 * RV% for any 330 with an MSRP of $49400 or higher.

So in your example, that $56k 330e would have an RV of $33098.

If it is $49,400 * RV% for a 330 with an MSRP north of 49,400, wouldn’t a 67% residual come out to $33,098? The $37,496 is 67% of MSRP…

EDIT: The power of post editing makes me look even more incompetent than usual :rofl:

1 Like