Best SUV for the price?

In beautiful Forest Service Green!

Are you saying other leased suvs don’t need to replace brakes or tires? I don’t get this argument.

Well I just watched some videos of 2019 Nissan’s with the CVT and it still seems to suffer from the same poor transmission mapping and programming.

I’m sure as Nissan pours more money into it that it’ll get better.

After a 3 year lease I’ve never needed to do a brake job. Tires are hit and miss, I’ve gone 35k without having to replace tires. Normally though, its 32k

1 Like

The loaded model with 20” wheels and lower profile, higher performance tires will need replacement earlier than the standard 18” wheels.

Infiniti is pretty notorious around here for the run flats they use needing replacement fairly quickly, no? At least relatively speaking.

Isn’t that the Q50?

There’s really no such thing as “normally” — it depends on the tire compound, the vehicle and the driver.

It’s the very definition of YMMV.

Max why are you always so cynical. You live in NYC go have some some fun -

As a fellow New Yorker (by birth and employment right now anyway) the cynicism is just part of the package unfortunately. That being said we need an NYC/Tri State Leasehackr meet-up at some point.

3 Likes

I’ve leased/owned 6 Infiniti vehicles and none of them required brake or tire changes at the 39 mo due date. The closest I’ve come is my current qx50’s rear brakes showing up in the “yellow” on their scale of needing to be changed soon, but the car is due in 3 Mo. Going through medical residency, value for the price was a priority, so Infiniti was at the top. You get leather, a comfortable ride, in most cases decent power and cargo room. I tried to sell the Mazda to the wife, but she shot it down right away and refused to look at it based on the brand; not fair to the manufacturer, I know, but it is what it is. The mdx looked great on paper, but I just wasn’t feeling it in person. We couldn’t score a good value on the explorer/Acadia/x5. We wound up with the qx60 and she loves it. The updated cvt gets good mpg (up to 30+ on highway), but does drone a bit going up hill. The cargo room is superb, we took a snow trip up to mammoth with 4 adults, a baby and two dogs, no problem. Tech is a bit dated but it’s not as bad as the qx80 which is a dinosaur. To us, this was the best decision with where we are in life

I think you need to define what “best” means to you. Is it the tech? The value? The brand? The reliability? The luxury? The cargo room? Everyone will have a different opinion based on their priorities

4 Likes

I’ve never needed to do tires or brakes on any of the coupes or sedans I’ve leased, but did need tires and pads on my first suv lease which was a Volvo XC60.

I now am leasing two Audi SUVs, and from reading the Audi message boards, it wouldn’t shock me if I end up spending money on tires and/or pads for either of these cars.

I think everyone is so used to driving a sedan and not spending any money on the wear and tear items, that it comes as a shock when these massive SUVs chew through brakes and tires quicker (which really shouldn’t be surprising).

1 Like

Our X1 has been through a set of front and rear brakes at 21k miles. Thank goodness for BMW’s included maintenance from 2016…

I test drove a 2019 MKC the other day. Wasn’t anything amazing, but the ride was super smooth and the price was kinda rock bottom.

I’ve never needed brakes for a lease. I’ve ALWAYS needed tires for a lease longer than 24 months, both sedans and SUVs. Rotating them and aligning them religiously before someone chimes in that I should do that.

I think the biggest factor between luxury and non-luxury is ride quality.

NYC has some shitty roads and some cars feel like a wooden carriage

It’s for people with more money than brains, high end soccer mom’s that want to sit high up but don’t need the functionality of the suburban. Fleet sales are a pretty big chunk too. Makes more sense for fleets because they need the heavy duty body on frame aspect but without the size of the suburban for certain roles. Oh and the less of a commoner the soccer mommy is the higher end trim she gets, Tahoe, Denali then Escalade

1 Like

I don’t want to hijack his thread, but do any of y’all have opinions on who’s got the best TECH in the SUV market?

I’m new - but Audi/VW. But we have only shopped them and Toyota/Lexus.

Audi is very well regarded for tech, as is the most recent versions of bmw idrive.