Best SUV for the price?

I really subscribe to the “cant drive a spec sheet” mentality. The CX5 turbo feels downright fast with the tune the way it is for down low torque. It feels powerful, even if it’s only 0.5 seconds quicker.

In that segment the CX-9 is regarded as the best overall, besides 3 row legroom. Then probably the Traverse, and the Atlas depending on your priorities. I think the Atlas gives you more 3rd row legroom, but has a dog of an engine. The Traverse slots in the middle.

I’ll take a Jaguar F-Pace. Best handling SUV out there that has any, you know, utility to it, and the best looking by a considerable margin. Historically, they haven’t leased that well, but I saw a couple reports here where that appears to be changing.

1 Like

Lexus does a lot of things well, but there is a reason that the Lexus badge is the same size as the Toyota badge. That’s not necessarily a bad thing in a lot of ways, but at the end of the day you will get some Toyota bits in there, which Mazda obviously doesn’t have.

My wife has had 3 Lexus cars/suvs. She was a couple of years out of warranty and the main center screen died in her car. Would have cost $3k to replace, Lexus did it for free. They treat their customers really well. I don’t see Mazda doing that…or bmw (I’m a 335 owner) for that matter.

1 Like

Without knowing all the circumstances of the service performed and how it was comped its hard to comment on what happened, but I don’t think that anyone would dispute that they have much better market penetration and dealer and service network. Having Toyota as a parent company certainly doesn’t hurt. That still doesn’t mean that Mazda isn’t making cars right now that beat the pants off of just about everyone dollar for dollar in terms of quality, materials and driving dynamics.

This is all useful information. Thank you all.

Oh I completley agree that the customer service may be better. However, that isn’t what makes a car “luxury” My family, including myself have had 7 lexus/toyota products over the last 11 years. They are great cars, just the fit and finish is better on a mazda IMO

I like Mazda’s as well. Great feel inside and they look awesome. Driving dynamics are well above the class they are in. Lexus are fugly IMO, not worth it plus to say they lack the Sport in SUV is an understatement. Volvo’s look great both inside and out but I don’t like their engine options or lack there of. The Mercedes GLC is quite nice but too small for my needs, and the Audi’s are too average in the styling department but the interior is quite nice. My ranking for bang vs buck would look like:

1. F-Pace if you don’t need a 3rd row
  2. Mazda QX 5 or QX9 if you need the size
  3. GLC if you fit
  4. Qx5 or QX7 depending on budget and size needs
    I’d take a Highlander over a Lexus.

Mazda needs to work on some of the basics for me. I had a CX5 for a couple of months (basically, 2x1 month rentals) & whilst the exterior & interior design was fantastic with really nice quality finishes some things just let it down and stop it providing that ‘luxe’ feel which I guess is fair enough as they’re not a luxury brand.

I couldnt get comfy with the seats, i’m 6ft3, partner is 6ft4 and the seats were just uncomfy over a long commute and dont even get me started on that diabolical infotainment. It was almost Lexus bad. It should be better now they’ve got car play though. As always the devil is in the detail and these are just 2 small gripes that are related to me only.

I think a couple of iterations of both the CX5, CX9 and soon to be unveiled CX4 will put Mazda right up there.

I needed 4 new tires on my ‘16 xc60 after 16k miles lol. Had to do the pads shortly after.

I’ve heard the Q7 chews through brakes and tires also, I’m praying I’ll just need to do pads before I turn my lease in.

I think general statements about brands might not be accurate. I have had two Porsche (Cayenne and Macan S) in the past and now have a BMW 7 series. In my opinion 7 series is more luxurious than both Porsche. Sure, I prefer a fully loaded Panamera but saying BMW is not luxury and Porsche or Volvo are, is not very accurate. Just my two cents.

The 7 series may be an exception… However, as a whole, I will stand by statement. Image doesn’t necessarily associate with quality. S90 is made with far better materials than the 5 series. S60 far better than the 3 series. XC60 > X3. XC90> X5

1 Like

Every review I’ve read for various Porsches is that the interior isn’t quite top of the line. Not really surprising because Porsche is more of a driver/performance car than pure luxury.

I do agree with previous posters that Audi exterior styling leaves a bit to be desired, but their interiors are 100% luxury.

Also agree that volvo’s engine choices (or lack thereof) are disappointing.

Part of the premium brands is the dealer service feel. Yes you pay more at Lexus than Toyota, but the service experience is better for those that like free loaners, some offer breakfast and a more luxurious space to go to. Also, some may call it snooty, but not having Carolas inline with your car is what some premium brand owners like. They like seeing only their BMW’s, or Lexus cars at the service department. It’s all a matter of perception and choice. The image the label has is huge for many. There is a reason Channel bags cost $8000 and sell like hot cakes. Same leather and build, just has that logo and boutique shopping experience.

1 Like

This is definitely true. While Cadillac’s “Luxury” status is clearly debatable, my local Buick/GMC/Cadillac dealer that I use for service has a separate service center on site just for Cadillac customers.

1 Like

Where would you put the Pilot on this list? Getting rid of MDX and looking at Pilot, QX60, Highlander, and maybe Mazda.

Wife likes Atlas, but not at current lease prices…

Haven’t looked at Traverse / Acadia yet

FYI pilot is a MDX

For $34-38K, I think the CX-5 (with turbo) is the best choice…I’ve been shopping for a replacement for my 2015 Ford Edge and it’s my favorite…unfortunately, here in LA it leases like garbage…$500/month.

I’m going to end up getting a Subaru Forester Limited for under $370, zero drive off. Yes, the power and pick up is weak, but I’m not really sure where everyone needs this (and I’ve leased over a dozen MB and Audis)…I’ve had an 2017 Subaru Outback 2.5, which is woefully underpowered, and I’ve never had to mash the pedal in over 27K miles of driving (and I go in carpool/fast lane).

Maybe if you live in a rural area where passing cars is a daily activity, but in a city like LA, there is really nowhere to go!

1 Like

My wife loved it. I didn’t drive it, but she said it was perfect for her needs…then came the numbers. That ended the love affair quickly. If we can catch the CX5 at the right time with the right program, she’d jump in a heartbeat.

1 Like