Attempting to work a 2018 Kia Cadenza deal - seeking advice

After some reading on here and a few attempts at talking leases “in the wild”, I settled on trying to replace our current car (not a lease) with a 2018 Kia Cadenza. I was pretty confident in the numbers after seeing the MSRP of the Cadenza I found, which happened to be the only one on the lot. Here’s the breakdown of the numbers I had and what the manager came to me with:

MSRP - $33,410
Cap Cost - $32,410 (he said its employee pricing which was 3% over invoice, IIRC it was 1k less than MSRP)
RV - 46% (Edmunds said 48%)
MF - .00198 (he matched Edmunds for base MF)
Rebates - $7200
Term - 36/12 (and we even looked at 48/12 due to Kia’s warranty)
Zero down minus first months payment
Payment was $420-455 range after adding in taxes and fees.

Region is southern VA

Here’s my calculations -Cadenza

I was hoping (and had calculated) at a $30k sale price and came out right at 300/month. When I brought this up the guy starting laughing and told me cars over $30k cant be leased for that money. Its clear not EVERY car can be had at that range, however I fully expected to be able to break $300 on this one and I’m unclear what else I could do here.

Hoping you guys are able to steer me in the right direction. One other parting question, I noticed VA is supposed to get a “tax bomb” and have to pay taxes up front, however anyone I’ve worked with has just rolled taxes/fees right into it. Am I missing something?

That discount is an insult, 3% over invoice? I’d expect under. I assume the cap cost has all the fees rolled in, what’s the selling price?

Unfortunately he pretty much started laughing and left. The only other number I saw was the post rebates price (around $26k). I didnt have a chance to get any further info due to the manager completely writing off the idea of ~300 a month for the deal.

You can pay upfront (DAS) or roll them in, your choice. 4.15% on the sale price.

Hence he is a manager at a Kia dealer, they are pretty terrible

hah! a Kia dealer laughing at a customer and walking off!? well blow me down with a feather i’m shooketh.

Because kia sales managers are douches you only contact them through email. Stay home and email your offer to all dealers in 100-200 miles. Your probably the only buyer. They don’t sell well. If you get stuck PM me.

I just finally decided on a lease but before I did went to Kia just to see the sportage I just wanna put this in context both Lexus and Audi have cheaper leases then their middle of the line cars so wtf are you doing leasing a kia

I’m not super familiar with Audi and Lexus, what models should I be looking at to try and come in around $275-300? I’d definitely be interested in one.

I don’t think you’re going to see any success looking at Audi and Lexus if your goal is 275 to 300.

You can get into an Accord EX-L 2.0T for that money, though. Probably a better buy anyways. Not going to be a “luxury” sedan like the Cadenza (emphasis on quotations).

Deluxe was comparing a Sportage to Audi/Lexus, so my guess is Q5/NX cars from them.

It all depends on what you want an awd Audi A4 would set you back less provided you didn’t get gps

Gotcha. So it seems like my best option is just emailing dealers and having as much of a conversation that way? Do you guys have a point that you recommend actually heading into the dealership? I’m assuming I won’t be able to just send off a ‘dream sheet’ of numbers and eventually work my way there without ever showing up.

The only time you should head into the dealership is to sign the paperwork on an agreement reached over email. Shouldn’t be in there more than 20 minutes.

I can lease 2018 Kia Cadenza Technology…msrp 41k…with additional oil change…and blah …blah…total. Msrp 42,500.
Can lease for 36mos…10k…$496.00. 0 down…residual is18,500…total to buy back 37,000.
New to game. If financed for 60months. Total cost at end would be 37,300.
Is this decent deal. I know car is not a hot ticket, but loaded.

So. Confused.

There’s a template to evaluate deals. Failing that, at least include in some sort of fashion so as to be read quickly:
MSRP
SALES PRICE
RV
MF
TAX RATE
ACQ FEE
CASH DUE AT SIGNING

MSRP 40,897_

CAP COST 37,900
RV 46%(18,500) think % is correct
Rebates 7500
Terms 36/10
Zero down and pay first month
Cost is $496 per month
total lease payment are 17,856
found Kia Cadenza Technology for above. New to leasing…buying cars for fifty years…feel like a virgin.
sorry if info is not total…
Is this a decent deal?

Kia’s / Hyundai’s don’y lease well to begin with. But based on an MSPR of ~41k, to be leasehackr worthy, I would say your payment w/ $0 down, should be $375/mo or less.

You need to find out the real numbers and not guess at anything, that’s where you’ll make a mistake and think your deal is better than it is.