Anyone have experience listing on Turo?

Hi,
I currently have 8 Airbnb listings and am considering adding a fleet of vehicles that I can list on turo and advertise through my Airbnb account. My Airbnb account has over 500 positive reviews and i have made a comfortable living thus far in thr past 17 months.

I see an opportunity to rent vehicles as one of the first messages I get on the app is, " I will be renting a car, is there parking?" I do have 3 listings where I can park my vehicles.

My listings are all in the Los Angeles area, meaning I am always busy…

The last icing on the cake is that a hostel opened literally next door to where I live in June.
The owner was very friendly and introduced himself to me since we see each other daily. I am considering the idea of his guests also being possible customers of mine. Ive started asking my guests who rent vehicles about their rentals, most pay around $50 for a cruze or focus and close to $100 for larger sedans such as camrys.

Can anyone share their experiences on the platform??

1 Like

https://www.travelcodex.com/2016/01/make-money-renting-cars-with-turo/

https://www.travelcodex.com/2016/01/my-car-was-stolen-while-renting-through-turo/

Thsnks for the reply.

Ive read the thread and articles youve attached. I’m curious about peoples first hand experience in this forum

1 Like

I have been renting two cars on both Turo and HyreCar. Pretty good experience so far. To note, however, is that the cars I list are not leased. From what I’ve read everywhere listing a leased car on these platforms is prohibited. So I’ve kept my leased car off the platforms.

1 Like

Did you install any type of monitoring or tracking device?

Where are you located and what car models do you have listed?

I use the Automatic device. Plugs into OBD2 and gives me not only location but all kinds of data. Was about 120 at BestBuy and includes lifetime cell service.

I have a BMW X5 and a Toyota Prius on there. Only bad experience I had was one girl and her punk BF smoked in the car. Turo ended up covering the cost to get an ozone treatment and interior detail done. Cannot even tell anymore. They then end up charging the renter; I didn’t have to get involved.

1 Like

I have’t listed a car on Turo but I’ve rented from them many times. Several of the owners I have rented from have had multiple cars on Turo. One of them had 6 cars that he rented out and told me he made a great living from it and was getting even more cars. I think there are a growing number of people who do this. My only concern about doing this with a leased car is excess mileage and wear and tear, not sure if leasing is the best way to go with this vs purchasing but if you can make it work I think it is a good business proposition. i also know there is a growing business in renting out cars to Uber/Lyft drivers and you can make as much as $1,000/mo per vehicle doing that. There’s even an online company that facilitates this but can’t remember the name. BTW I live in LA too, would be curious to know how this goes for you.

What type of vehicles was that guy renting out?

I rented a Toyota Rav4 hybrid. He said he had a couple of Priuses and at least 1 BMW.

Check your lease agreement to ensure you’re not in any violation by renting it out.

Thanks for all your replies.

I have decided to go to a couple dealer car auctions and purchase a couple vehicles to rent through Turo. I will report back after a couple months

1 Like

Hey, I’m located in orange county and thinking of using turo as well. I own a used car dealership if you’d like to purchase cars at wholesale from auctions. I’ll DM you.

looks like I can’t DM yet, but let me know if you’re interested!

How was your experiences ?

kohrea, did you end up posting rentals in Turo?

My Lexus is on Turo and its good cause I barely drive the car since I have to watch my miles. Car is technically “paid” off through Volvo’s conquest offer I had. I just rented it out last week and idiot backed into something causing $1,400 in damages. Turo only gave me $500 to fix the damage and said if there is more damage, to have body shop send an updated quote.

I rent out:
Lexus GS350 - Leased
Range Rover Sport - Leased
Acura MDX - Owned
Volvo S90 - Leased
Ferrari F430 - Owned by Brother (cash cow)

1 Like

Wouldn’t someone renting it likely put more miles on it than you driving it?

Do those lease agreements allow you to do that?

I have been wanting to lease a car and put it on turo but have been hestitating because of lease agreements.

1 Like

I only put 100 miles a day, which most are 3 day weekend rentals. Car sits rest of the time

Hi folks!

I found this thread and just wanted to say I have experience renting cars out on Turo (I’m a Power Host). It’s a great thing to do if you can replicate deals found on Leasehackr (Chevy 1 pays).

Here’s an article I wrote, feel free to PM me here if you have any questions.

1 Like

I rent on Turo all the time in Los Angeles and would absolutely not rent a Cruze for $50 a day and especially wouldn’t rent a Camry for $100 a day. Hell for $65 a day you can get a Giulia or something like that. For $50 you can get a nice sedan like a Camry or a newer Prius. $100 a day is honestly BMW 4 series territory, which I almost did recently.

My last rentals were:

2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk: $40/day
2016 BMW X1: $60/day
2016 Prius 3 Touring: $40/day
2017 Hyundai Ioniq: $45/day? Don’t remember for sure
2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road: $65/day
2018 Lexus NX300: $65/day
2018 GMC Terrain SLE: $40/day

I’ve asked quite a few owners and some are purchased, but quite a few are leases. Often times the Semi-professionals have a friend or family member that’s a broker who hooks them up with a good deal. I’m always careful with the cars and treat them well, and keep them clean like I’m borrowing a friend’s car, but I’ve heard stories from the owners.

Most of the time it’s actually much easier than renting a car from Enterprise or whatever, but there’s a bit more stress involved as it’s often somebody’s “baby” that you’re driving around and not a beater rental. The main downside is sometimes the location where the car is can be kind of a pain to get to, or you reserve something and the owner has forgot to block off the time or whatever and they have to cancel - but generally these are the Non-professional renters and you can kind of prepare for that issue by the listing info.

1 Like