Advice on next steps with current offer: Lease for 2019 BMW X3 M40i

a x3 body on top of a m540i, custom order from photoshop

1 Like

I think you mean the MY2019 x3M40i.

1 Like

My apologies - fat finger. The car is a 2019 BMW X3 (SAV) M40i

If you can find the ‘18 model year, you can get a much better discount and save yourself some good cash on your monthly. Even for a model year 2019, the discount could be stronger, although I know this model doesn’t lease well.

1 Like

$848 a month seems like a heck of a lot to pay for a $59k car but I know these don’t lease that well.

¯\(ツ)

That’s a lot for this car but they don’t lease well.

Oregon has a .5% sales tax on cars now.

Why choose this car when you can get a loaded X5 for the same price?

Get a 2018 and save another ~$150p/m. Lots of them on the lots that have been there a while. Why do you need a custom order?

1 Like

Great feedback so far - thank you. Here’s what I have learned from you:

1. With no change from MY2018 to 2019, I could save some money by asking my local dealer to find a 2018 as close as possible to what I would order. I assume the reason is that 2019’s are already available so they have to move the 18’s? Can someone guide me on what the discount could be - or what I should be asking for?
  2. I didn’t realize there was a 0.5% sales tax on cars now in Oregon! Is that just on new? News to me.
  3. I assumed the newly designed 2019 X5 would be a lot more per month than this car. Someone suggested it was the same?

Oh, and why the order… no judgment but I really want a ivory interior and the digital dash. But, maybe I will get lucky and find one in CA or somewhere in a dealer 2018 per the earlier suggestion?

I’ve seen 1 or 2 2018/2019 M40i ex-demos but you might not have any near you, it’s very hit or miss but might be a way of getting the best possible deal. Have a search here for recent 2018 and 2019 deals and use them as a benchmark.

You’ll pay a significant premium for those custom options unfortunately if you go that route, but it depends how much you value and ultimately you need to be happy with the vehicle you choose.

This is the only decent 2019 X5 deal I’ve seen: 2019 X5 66.5 MSRP/59.4 sale price It’ll be a lot easier to negotiate on older stock M40i than a 2019 X5.

1 Like

Quoting 18s and 19s here on the east coast and I am seeing sales prices that low on 19s in the low $59s similarly specd out before the loyalty rebate is applied

Thank you. Good idea on asking about a demo as well. I didn’t think about an 18’ but I see how that can make sense.

I could be wrong, but pretty sure the 2018 was the big redesign, and 2019 is the same design. So you’d still have the new redesign of the x3 with the 2018 model.

He’s talking about the X5, not the X3.

Gotcha. Missed that. Totally correct.

On similarly priced MY2018’s (which include the Executive Package - the only way to get the digital dash), I was getting dealer offers for 9% off right off the bat with no negotiation - that really is your best way for getting a better deal, but finding one that has both Executive Package and an ivory interior may be a trickier proposition - depends how much you’re willing to compromise (but given you’ll be looking at that interior literally every day, might as well go with what you like).

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned yet is that if you have an expiring lease typically they will waive your lease disposition fee of $350 and you (may) get some leeway on damages on the old car if you time it with the new car order - I’m not sure if you’ll get the same treatment if you’ve already made the order at the time you turn in the old car.

Thank you. From what I am reading from the responses here, leasing a 2018 model will provide the same car (no change in the MY2019) but a much lower lease payment. I agree with you that I may need to compromise on the color choices but there is a good chance I can find the options. In your experience, do you think they have more room than 9% off MSRP? The Costco offer of $500 over dealer invoice is only 5.4% discount.

Some advice specifically for custom orders:

You should be able to get a much better discount unless the car has a limited allocation and there is a shortage (as in, there’s an actual waitlist to order).
Otherwise, use this to calculate invoice: https://www.bimmerfest.com/news/917430/calculating-bmw-invoice-pricing-for-my-2017-models/
Then subtract another 4% from that.

That should be your expected sale price before any fees, taxes, or incentives. That will give you a very achievable discount on a custom order.
I would then email the dealer and say something like, “I want $$$ as a discount. I know you will still profit about $650 plus doc fee on that sale. I can easily get that price by contacting dealers on enthusiast websites and doing a performance center delivery, but I would prefer to keep my business local.”

It takes literally 5 minutes to put in a custom order and usually as soon as they know they are competing with the entire country, they’re a bit more willing on the discounts.

If they don’t play ball. Walk away and actually do it.
If you have the time, I recommend doing the performance center delivery anyway on a custom order. It’s free (other than the time and airplane ticket) and a lot of fun and educational.

1 Like

Haven’t actually negotiated yet since I am just sending out an initial round of feelers, but my expectation is that an additional 2% off is achievable? I know there were some unicorn deals people posted in the trophy garage that had substantially more discounted, but not sure if those are achievable.