Advice on EV/PHEV leasing in Texas

Hi everyone,

First post here. I am working on finding a replacement for our 2015 Leaf coming off lease in December. I am at 17k of a 36k lease.

We’ve done some test drives, and have settled on the Bolt, Volt, and C-Max Energi. We like the Bolt best, but would be happy with any of those three.

So I have some questions for you sages:

First, wait until December for the lease to expire on the Leaf? The Nissan pull ahead program (3 months payments, waive disposition fee, $500 in damage credit) is attractive - but the residuals on the current Leafs are INSANELY low - making the lease payment comical. (And I’d like a something that isn’t a Leaf) I also assume dealers are going to want to move inventory before the end of the year.

Second, which of the three do you think will be least expensive? I’ve asked each dealership what their current incentives are for a lease on each vehicle, and got information that varied wildly from what is posted on the manufacturer’s website as regional incentives (to wit: Ford house telling us there are no incentives on a C-Max Energi when Ford’s website states north of 8k in incentives). How do you all “arm yourselves” with what the incentives actually are, and how do you all present that to the dealerships?

Third, I negotiated our Leaf competitively via email among several dealers, which worked really well for us - without stepping foot in the dealership until it was time to sign the paperwork. Good course of action for my next lease?

I’d also welcome your general thoughts on this, so I can make my best effort when it comes time.

Thanks!

It looks like you have mileage to spare on your lease. I would wait if you’re not over. Any dealer can “pull” you ahead by adding the amount of your payments to the new car’s total (gross cap cost). You can go to any dealer and they will offer to pay off the remaining balance (you will still be responsible for lease disposition/damages). If it’s an actual corporate incentive, and the dealer gets reimbursed by corporate, that’s a different story.

Two, you have to do your own research and bring the numbers here. I’m personally not interested in any EV/PHEV car so I’m not motivated to do the research for you. Get MF and residuals from edmunds, and NADAguide/truecar values.

https://forum.leasehackr.com/t/which-sites-do-you-use-to-do-research-updated-07-16-17-library/16434

Third I think that’s a great idea, but only if the dealers are willing to play along. I usually show my face first then start the emailing.

1 Like

The reason the current residuals on the Leafs are insanely low is that there’s a brand new Leaf coming out in the next few months (announcement in September, sales starting late Nov/early Dec). I’m not sure if they’re going to have a loyalty deal, but I’ve heard that the electric range is going to be similar to the Bolt in order to remain competitive (and that’s why the 2017s won’t be worth much at lease end). You may want to talk to your dealer to see if there’s anything going on there.

Because of the new 2018 Leaf coming out, there’s something wrong if they aren’t throwing at least 15-17.5k lease money at the current 2017 Leaf. Current Leaf deals on EV-VIN Blogspot are showing an effective lease rate (down rolled in, no tax) of approx $140-260/mo without any negotiation – I bet you can probably do better. And I bet this will become even more aggressive (think the crazy BMW i3 deals from 7-8/2016 right before the new one with the bigger battery came out) right before the 2018 Leaf release date.

Usually with Nissan especially if you’re going to go into another one they’ll let you extend the lease without any issues.

http://insideevs.com/new-2018-nissan-leaf-caught-in-public-spyshots/

1 Like

That’s what I thought on the '17’s - but my jaw dropped when they said a lease payment of almost 500 dollars a month! You’d think they would want to move inventory, but apparently the local Nissan folks are not interested.

Thanks for the feedback!

Jason