Acura lease return: being asked to contact dealer ahead of time?

We are finally at the end of the lease, and ready to return the car.

Just called Acura financial, and they suggest that I call a dealership ahead of time before I return, regardless whether or not I will lease an Acura next.

I don’t want to lose leverage in negotiating with Acura dealers in the area. Any suggestions? Do I need to do this?

If you need an inspection then that is probably why financial wants you to speak with dealership. But if your car is ready to be dropped off without issues then don’t contact them.

1 Like

The inspection is done via a 3rd party - so I don’t really see a point in contacting the dealership ahead of time?

Do you have equity in the vehicle? Have you checked Carvana, Vroom, etc?

Is there anything wrong with the car? I’ve never understood getting it inspected unless you have a reason to think there would be some big deduction. There is a chance you’re wasting your time and their time with an inspection.

How would contacting the dealer ahead of time make you lose leverage?

If you’re just returning the vehicle and not leasing another Acura, you’ll need to have the vehicle inspected before turn in. It’s always done through a third party - Acura financial should be able to get you hooked up with the company or someone at your local dealership should know the contact information. Once the vehicle is inspected you can take it to any Acura dealership to turn it in, doesn’t have to be the one you purchased from. I usually ask my customers to let me know ahead of time so I can have the return receipt ready to go and remind them to bring both keys, owners manuals, etc. I wouldn’t say it’s absolutely required to let the dealership know ahead of time however. Now, if you’re looking to lease another Acura my dealership will arrange the inspection for you, but YMMV.

How is the condition of the vehicle? Like @pizza8822 asked, have you checked to see if you have any equity in the vehicle? It might make sense to simply sell the car to Carvana or Vroom, which will avoid the inspection/turn in and disposition fee all together.

I don’t understand how you would lose leverage in this scenario. There are many choices out there and until you sign for something you haven’t given up anything. I suspect the dealer will do what they can to convert you to another Acura, nothing wrong with that really and that is the same for any dealer you will ever have contact with. Most offer loyalty incentives and will waive mileage or damage fees to keep you.

You can still and should still play the dealers against each other for the best deal.