2019 Volkswagen GTI Rabbit Edition

Got this deal from the dealer today - initial offer was 430/mo, and I said I was looking for a lot cheaper.

They told me that there are currently no incentives for the GTI at the moment, but it’s been my dream car so just checking with y’all to see if I have a lot more wiggle room to negotiate:

New 2019 Volkswagen GTI Rabbit Edition (3 miles on ODO)

MSRP: 30,374
Discount: 3,069
Sale Price: 27,305
MF: 0.00097
Residual: 55%: 16,705.70
Lease: 370.72, $0 down, 38 terms (They pay the first one of the 39 lease as a part of the deal?)

Monthly Price includes all state taxes and fees.

Also this may be a dumb question but on cargurus, I’m seeing prices in the 26k’s:
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2019-Volkswagen-GTI-2.0T-Rabbit-Edition-FWD-t83808

Could I just go to the dealer and show them the price of those results and ask for further discount on the Sale Price? Or are those Carguru prices not comparable to the Lease Sale Price of 27,305 listed above?

You should try to get some quotes from other VW dealerships in your area. I leased a 2015 Jetta and had three dealerships working with me… I didn’t even know how leases worked and ended up with monthlies under 1% of MSRP just through competition.

You absolutely should use cargurus - email all the cheap dealers within 200 miles. Use the price analysis to your advantage - tell them that they’ve offered you a good price but you’re looking for a great price.

Great price on the same MSRP as yours is $25,963 - you can definitely do better on the sale price.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=untrackedExternal_false_0&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=t83808&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=&zip=01002&distance=100&searchChanged=true&trimNames=2.0T+Rabbit+Edition+FWD&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true#listing=231700499

Incentives for lease vs purchase can/does most certainly vary, so the price analysis may be useless. Find out what the various incentives are in your area to compare.

Cargurus doesn’t account for most dealers that have those “low low prices” are dealers that are rolling in EVERY possible incentive for purchase. Even incentives that can’t be stacked.

I’ve shopped around enough GTI’s in the NOVA area to know that the lowest-priced GTIs are actually 2k to 3k more expensive than listed on Cargurus. Ex: GTI S may be offered for 20k; but most quotes I got for purchase were around 23k or 22.5k.

Leasing may be worse as the national offers at the time (5 months ago) were just under 350 a month with 3k DAS on a GTI S.

I was able to talk a dealer down to about 26.5k selling price on a 2018 GTI SE, though. About 5k off MSRP.

You definitely have to see if there are any purchase rebates/incentives that are being applied with the cargurus price analysis, but they usually state if one is being used. The asterisk after the Discount below makes me a little nervous, but I would contact the dealer to confirm how the discount breaks down.

Update: I went to two other dealers and they could not match the offer, so I feel decent about this price. I also called the dealership in Lowell, MA with the $26122 price and they are indeed stacking incentives that would not apply to me.

One other question. This current offer has 584$ worth of accessories that are ‘built into the window sticker of the vehicle’ (in their words). Is this mandatory to purchase with the lease? Or is this negotiable for a cheaper monthly lease? Items below:

Monster Mats and Trunk Liner: $235
Bumperdillo Protection Plate for rear bumper: $150
Luggage Net: $100
First Aid Kit & Roadside Assistance Kit Combo Pack: $99

Those are port installed options. Basically, the dealer added them into the window stick to pad profit.

You can negotiate those off. It’s up to the dealer to actually remove them.

These guys are usually a good indicator of real prices

https://www.fitzmall.com/Inventory/Detail/00008713707/NEW-2019-Volkswagen-Golf%20GTI

Hi OP,
Just closed a deal on a cornflower blue DSG model for $365/Month with $1,500 down. 12K miles for 36 months. This was the best deal I’ve gotten, I’m happy with it. Hope this helps in your search. I’m in Philadelphia area, very competitive market.