2019 Ford Explorer XLT/Limited

Thank you!! This gives me hope. I’ll definitely reach out to them. Did you negotiate via email or in person?

Everything by e-mail. As a rule, I never set foot in a dealership to negotiate. Only to test drive (checkbook at home), then leave (negotiate later), or to pick up keys and sign papers.

How did you get the 2k private offer?

Pretty sure I saw a link on this forum. I had to clear cookies, and browse a couple ford sites until the offer popped up in a banner, if I’m remembering properly.

Finally received a better than average quote on a Sport.

MSRP: 48,910
Selling Price: 42,797 (12.49% off MSRP)
Rebates: 2,000
Acq fee: 645
Dealer fees: 799
Tags: 343

Waiting on a lease worksheet and going to try to work on the dealer fees.

Work has been super busy, but I’m trying to finalize a deal for 3/30 as I’ve secured a day off work and I have a $750 PCO that expires on 4/1. Couple questions…

1. 3/30 is the last Saturday of the month and the last Saturday of the quarter for Ford, is it reasonable to assume that I can push for a little more discount during this time?

2. Once I submit a credit app through Ford and send it to an individual dealer, can they pull my credit again? I’m try to avoid as many hard inquiries as possible.

TIA

(This coming week, I’ll post up a couple worksheets before committing to see what you guys think)

We are about to turn in our 16 explorer. We got a good deal on our prior lease trade in so had 5k down. My payments are $388/month. I’m turning it in and walking away because even being 7k under on my mileage we have negative equity in the explorer. Also you can’t trade a ford lease in to other dealerships. Ford hits them with a penelty. Your only real option with a Ford is to purchase, turn in, trade to ford. I don’t care for ford and have no desire to get another one.

1 Like

After months of shopping I believe I’ve found a fair deal. I know Explorers do not lease well, but the wife wants what she wants.

Acq fee and doc fee up front. Taxes rolled into payment.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Here’s what the calculator shows:

Dealers quote shows their discount as “down payment” which is not the case, and where I’m assuming the 288.99 cap cost reduction tax is coming from. Should I challenge this?

Is 1566.58 cash down from you or dealer? If dealer cash, that actually looks like a pretty good offer for this vehicle.

All cap cost reduction in the form of rebates and cash down (whether by you or dealer) is taxable at your local rate. Just add up rebates and cash down and multiply by your tax rate.

1 Like

The 1566.58 is suppose to be acquisition fee, dealer fee, and registration, paid by me up front in addition to first months payment.

I’m more than happy to counter him, but I’m not sure where to try and trim the money.

This sheet is funky as it’s not a real contract, but it’s written as cap cost reduction which is a cash down payment.

What’s your tax rate? You can figure out what they did easily by back calculating how they got to 288.99 in taxes.

6% tax rate where I Live. The dealership is in Ohio. I informed him my location for tax purposes, but he may have used Ohio rates.

Ah you’re in MI? I’m in Brighton. Surprised you are getting a better deal south of the border.

Well what do you know…$3250+$1566.58 * 0.06 = $288.99.

I would structure the deal to first month DAS and roll the rest in. There is no reason to pay any of this up front. That said, the dealer discount seems strong so I’m not sure there’s any more meat left on the bone as far as discount. I would one last time go to every sales manager in the area and ask them to beat it. You may get some end of the month magic.

1 Like

I’m actually in Kentucky.

I’m a step ahead of you on the end of the month magic. I sent this over to several other dealers that were competitive up front. Prices are dropping and my phone is blowing up. I’ll post deals as they come in.

I did stop by a dealership a little closer to home yesterday and made an offer 13% off. Said they couldn’t do it, but he’s already called this morning asking if I would do 12%.

1 Like

Sounds like you’re on the right track!! One word of caution - be VERY careful with verbal offers. Dealers may get desperate but salesmen may also be desperate and willing to lie to get a sale. I got severely baited and switched on the last day of February because a desperate salesman flat out lied to me on the phone with an incredible offer when I was on the way to sign a deal at a different dealer, so I went there because I naively trusted that he had approval to give me what he was offering. I didn’t find out until 930PM in the finance office when the contract had some nasty surprises in it. In hindsight I should have made him email me in writing his offer before I went in.

Let us know how it turns out!!

1 Like

This deal is a little closer to home and almost matches percentage off…

MSRP 46635
Selling 41038.80 (12% off)
Rebates 2500
PCO 750
Acq 645
Doc 599

Payment varies depending on how I want to structure the deal. Waiting on a worksheet from the dealer

Currently about to sign the above deal long as the F&I guys paperwork matches what was agreed upon.

MSRP 46635
12% discount before rebates
Rebates 3250 total
0.95 APR

I gotta feeling they’re gonna try to throw on some BS charges. I’ll know shortly

However, it’s been smooth so far

1 Like

Smoothest transaction I’ve ever dealt with. Contract was exactly as discussed.

1 Like

Received a phone call earlier from the dealer stating that the messed up the personal property tax and would take off the price of the vehicle to compensate for their mistake. I’ll attach a copy of the revised contract. The only changes I notice are the reduction in the gross capitalized cost, the higher official fees and taxes, and higher rent charge.

Are they trying to pull any shenanigans?

TIA