2019 E-Golf SE. Is this a good deal?

My car was totaled and when I was looking for the new one, read somewhere about cheap electric leases. My wife is pregnant and saving on monthly payments for a year while she’s out of job seems like a benefit.

So I did some digging and then went through “friend of a friend” to track down a new E-Golf.
Person new I’m looking for ~ $100/ month with bigger down payment.

So Cal
2019 E Golf SE
MSRP - $33K
Down payment - $3500
Drive offs - $2500
Term - 24 months
Allowed Miles - 7500
Monthly Payment - $110 + tax.

Sounded good at first, but once I added it al up it’s $8,500. Am I missing something here?
Previous deals on ev blogs were mentioning this dealer in their lists, $69/month, 2,999 down, total was $4582. Even if that number was calculated without the driveoffs, it is still $1,500 more. Person assured me they gave me almost identical deal.

I’ve never had a lease and don’t understand tactics / how to negotiate.
They mentioned Clean Air rebate, and at that point I was sold just to learn from this forum you have to have the car for 30 months.

On contrary, I test drove a 2016 e-golf se for $10.5K. It doesn’t have fast charging, and 85miles would probably be worthless in 2-3 years so I am looking into lease. I like to ease the payments and switch to Id Crozz when they release it. 6K was a no brained. At 8.5K I have doubts.

Spend some time reading here and you will find out that a massive down payment like that is a poor idea. Look into a 320i loaner if your goal is a cheap lease

Read up:
Deal

1 Like

Search the other e-Golf deals. You can get it lower. I’ve had quotes for SE without DA, $3200 DAS for 24/7.5k for $110 as a starting point. Working on tuning that down to about $85 or less.

1 Like

Especially because he has already totaled one car.

`

1 Like

Wow, you’re so sharp, aren’t you?
Some of just going on green, when trucks decide to make a left turn, you know.
I wasn’t asking for opinion if I should put a big down payment or not, I have my reasons.
I was asking for the overall cost of the lease.

:popcorn: :popcorn:

I’ve looked at another deal for $178/ 30 + $1337 out of the door.
From my understanding, to get California Clean Air rebate you need to have a car for 30 months?
I will try to get the same deal.

Any advice on what works best (how?) in negotiating a lease price?
I’m the type of person that would get the invoice and take it.

I wasn’t responding to you, was just agreeing with @BoardWalkNJ. But you probably didn’t notice.

1 Like

You do realize that if the car gets totaled you don’t get your down payment back, right? Money down the tubes.

Email a bunch of dealers and work it down. Especially if you need to be around home (wife, car, etc).

Remember online forums -everyone is sarcastic. But read without the tone, and these folks are really giving helpful advice. High money down does means less interest overall, but at risk. It’s a risk vs reward scenario.

3 Likes