2019 BMW 540 ix (Is this lease a good deal?)

Good catch… it’s exactly the difference between the RV they outlined and standard RV based on 60%. Nice guys… letting you cover the mileage penalty.

Even that doesn’t make sense since it would mean the car has 5,360 miles on it, make it ineligible for incentives based on the mileage penalty formula: (5,368 - 500)*.25 = $1,217.

@Kevin06 - I don’t know if I would even deal with these jokers anymore.

I believe the car has 4800 or 4900 miles on it so I misspoke. Been looking at so many cars that I have to consult my notes to get the numbers right. The odometer is what it is. They legally can’t lease it with >5K miles.

I hear you loud and clear. It’s just that I have not been able to find non-jokers in MA though I really do my research and spoke to 7 dealers from here to RI. These guys are reputable and have/had a rep for being aggressive in pricing and I’ve done business with them before and did not have a bad experience, and I’m running out of time.

Don’t mean to vent, but the lack of transparency and street-level tactics in this industry – while they play baroque music at the dealership and serve free espresso – is appalling. The only thing I can think of is this dealer was recently acquired by a larger entity so maybe someone is putting the thumbscrews on sales to give up less. But if this is 11%, I don’t know where to find someone to give me another 4-5% off. I spoke to 2 local brokers as well and they both say I can’t do much better.

You guys really seem to know what you’re doing and there’s no conflict of interest here, so I trust you, but it seems that near a top-10 city, maybe while they can move these 5-series at 800-900-1,000/month to people who don’t ask too many questions, they don’t have much incentive to deal with someone like me who gets into the weeds with them as much as I do. Sales and finance managers stop returning phone calls when I ask some of the very questions you’ve been asking me, and I ask them politely and diplomatically without insinuating anything. This has happened at 3-4 dealers already.

So, I am not in any way second-guessing what you’re saying, but when I suggest anything like another percent or two let alone 5, the dealers here look at me like I have two heads. Either there’s something local we’re all missing, or they’ve got too much easy business / low-hanging fruit at higher margin and no incentive to provide a fair price. Believe me – I know how to make a deal as long as I’m not at a huge disadvantage due to this ridiculous information asymmetry, i.e. being kept in the dark with respect to facts. I run businesses and therefore have been in sales one way or another for a long time, but there is no level playing ground here when one side is continuously withholding material information. Appreciate all the help you guys have given me.

Was @Bostoncarconcierge one of the brokers you spoke to?

He is no nonsense broker.

Problem with dealing with unscrupulous car dealers is it is difficult to not let emotion take over when they’re playing their games. Use a broker.

Thank you so much! Very nice of you to say.

We chatted but my car is the wrong color.

Appreciate the shout!

1 Like

I hear you man… I’ve pushing you because you can never trust a dealer until you see the all the numbers as they run out of ways to “hide” things.

You are right that 90% of people walk into a dealership and take whatever deal is offered to them so requires some grinding to find a deal, but they are out there as this forum demonstrates especially now.

If I were you, I would focus on 2018 5-series as you can definitely get a deal this month before leasibility is over. My buddy got a 530xi loaner for $399/month with 2K DAS and MSDs in CT recently.

If you really like this car, counter them with a non-negotiable offer outlining every piece so there is no way for them to move money around. Happy to help you out if you go down that path.

You’re welcome.

Just because you destroyed my HGTV viewing experience with your ‘insider tip’, I can still say nice things that are true.

Just don’t tell me that WWE fake. :hear_no_evil:

1 Like

Hahaha totally fair!

I have no idea why this is your strategy.

Yeah, they can lease cars with over 5,000 miles. They don’t qualify for incentives and take a big residual hit plus mileage penalty, though.

Very true… I do think OP has the correct mileage (approx. 4,900) but the penalty is being calculated wrong. I don’t think they aren’t subtracting the 500 miles first… only a $100 difference but just another issue with their offer.

Regarding the MSDs, @Kevin06 - there is no impact on or cost to the dealer as the discounted MF is from BMWF so shouldn’t be part of your negotiation. They are still selling the car for the same price. Either you do it or not.