2019 Audi A4 Lease

Residual is pretty bad. With this residual, it is tough to lease reasonably well unless this is THE car you want.

Also, as Manku said, do very little as payment in the beginning.

1 Like

Thanks guys. I’ll keep looking, but may have to look at another make since I received even worse quotes than this from the other dealerships.

Start here so you know what the base numbers are: https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/53726/audi/a4/2019-audi-a4-lease-deals-and-prices. I was offered 13% off a 2019 A5 coupe or A4/S4 sedan in September. I placed my order for an A5 coupe. It’s being delivered next week. Even with that discount, my monthly payment is going to sting. Nothing is leasing as well as a year ago, but an A4 premium plus should be low $500s with nothing down. Keep negotiating.

1 Like

Hi Mike - I’m also looking for a 2019 A4 quattro Premium Plus so I appreciate the input. I asked about a 36/12 or 39/12 lease and I got my first set of numbers on it yesterday. They were even higher than the OP’s (~$750/$730 with $0 down, ~ $1250 DAS (which they said was the lowest they could get on fees, etc.) for an MSRP of ~$51k. The prices were with $1500 lease bonus, $750 SOA and $1000 loyalty included too. I also asked about the A5s but they told me not to even bother since the prices would be much higher.

I did some online research beforehand and there wasn’t much data on the 2019s yet, but I was expecting something in the $500 range based on the 2018 deals I was seeing. After getting their prices, I was wondering if I was completely off base with my estimates somehow. The biggest problem I could see was that the dealer was only taking ~ $1k off the MSRP, which they said was based on the market price so they “didn’t have much room to move.”

This is a dealer where I got a 1% lease a few years ago, but the sales and finance people I worked with are no longer there. I showed them a promo they sent to me last week where they were offering about $7k off on a similar 2018 (even though there weren’t any 2018s in stock when they sent it). In response, they said they couldn’t match it on the 2019 but they could take “a little more” than the $1k off the MSRP. I also mentioned that I heard of people a few hours away getting prices in the $500s w/ $0 down. They told me that “that was probably for a 2018” although they said they would consider matching if I could show them the printout on a deal like that.

At that point I walked out to resume my shopping and research. That dealer does have a bit of a monopoly in the area, where there used to be 3 competitors and they’re now down to 1 competitor that has half the inventory (and another “competitor” is still open but owned by them). Luckily there are a few other dealerships at < 200 mi away that have similar cars in stock, so I’ll be calling them up on Weds. When I read the OPs post I was wondering if I was going to have to start looking more seriously at other brands too, but your response restored my hope that I can work something out. My current lease is just about up and I haven’t asked about an extension yet, where at least I now know that I won’t have to switch brands, pay $700+, or make a crazy down payment to get what I’m looking for if I shop around enough.

Why not just go after an ‘18 if that’s where the deals are? Obviously dealers will want to move the ‘18s off the lot more than the ‘19.

Don’t think Audi has changed anything in the a4 from 18 to 19, so you’re getting the same car.

I recently negotiated an A4 P+ (MSRP $50K) in NY for $554/month with $554 DAS for 36/12 (woulda been cheaper if NY allowed MSDs).
It was one of the last 2018 Black/silver/grey A4s in the area so I lost some leverage there, but if you can find 2018s, I’d highly recommend getting that instead. Also, why not aim for a P+ but one that is under $50k? You can get a nicely equipped A4 for $46-48k.
(Also, I think the 2018 A6s have better incentives so you could even get that for mid $500s).

The 2019 have no meaningful improvements over the 2018s. If you’d be willing to drive to Westchester County, NY, I could PM you my dealer info. Really nice guy.

I mentioned the 2018s in my first phone call with this dealer last week when I got their promo in the mail. They said the online inventory wasn’t updated and the 2018s had been gone for a few weeks. At that point I looked at about 6 other dealerships but none of them were showing any 2018s or 2019s. The places I called said the 2018s were gone and the 2019s were at port with quite a few arriving this week and next week. There is one place down in WV that still shows a few 2018s online so I’ll definitely call them on Weds. and see if that’s up to date.

And yes, if you could send me the info for the NY dealer that would be great. It’s about 6 hours from here, but I’ve made the drive a few times and it goes by quickly with a nice car!

It sounds like you don’t have much dealer competition in your area. I’m in Chicago where there are plenty of dealers to compete. But even here there aren’t many 2018s left. At my local dealer there is only a white premium plus with beige interior. If you aren’t too picky, you could be under $500 per month with that car. But I agree, your biggest issue is the lack of a discount. If you don’t mind flying in and driving home, you may be able to get a deal that’s worth it. I’m showing eleven 2018 A4 premium plus left in the entire Chicago metro area. One in black. I would negotiate a deal over the phone and make a deposit, then pick it up after Christmas. Or ship it.

If you think you’d be equally satisfied w/ an MB or a BMW, I would consider looking at one of those instead. That RV (while probably accurate in the real world outside of leasing) is doing you no favors at all.

I too am looking for something in this class, and was enchanted by all the great-looking A4 deals posted earlier in the year—residuals in the high 50s, MFs approaching 50, etc. I shopped all the dealers in my area (DC) and found solid cap costs but still monthly payments much higher than expected due to the ~50% residual and nobody willing to lower the MF with security deposits anymore. This is on 2019 models—all the 2018s are gone.

The A4 Quattro is my first choice as a vehicle by a significant margin, but based on my experience they not only don’t lease well but are leasing even worse going forward. It seems like if you want a great LH score and don’t have a strong vehicle preference then BMW and maybe MB are the way to go.

Look at the tons of recent stop sales that were released: 2018 A6 - they are going for over $16K off sticker - bringing the price down to an A4 !

Leases around $400-$500 per month.

1 Like

I agree. The best deals in that class seem to be the BMW 3-Series. I still like the Audi much better, but I am wondering if I will regret my Audi because the lease is so bad. Even with 13% off MSRP, the residual, MF and incentives are so bad, that my $52k 2019 A5 is going to be $629 per month all-in. I looked at December 2017, and calculated that the same exact car would be $565 per month a year ago. Every lease is going to cost more going forward, but it seems Audi’s are even worse that average. I received a nearly identical quote for a $44k Genesis G70, which is staggering since they’re trying to compete directly with BMW and Audi; not trying hard enough apparently. The Audi A4 is still a decent deal, but be prepared to pay at least $50 more per month than last year.

1 Like

I’d rather overpay $50-$100/month for a car I know that I truly want and will love, then save the money and chase “the deal” on a car I’m ho-hum about ( but still paying between $400-500/month on).

1 Like

Well said, Mike! I’m still glad I went with the A5; I like it more than anything else out there. I’m just frustrated it’s costing me $64 more per month than a year ago. If only my previous lease ended a year earlier…

1 Like

Agree with MikeM on this one, get the car that you will be happy with for the extra $50 a month.

2 Likes

Well said, that’s my thought too. It’s something you’ll be seeing, touching, sitting in, and driving pretty much every single day. If you compromise you’ll be reminded of it daily.

1 Like

Just wanted to share my update - after shopping around to over 10 dealers in PA, WV, MD, OH and NY, I ended up getting a 2019 A4 quattro premium plus for 10% off MSRP before incentives (16% off after). The monthly payment is still high (1.16%) but it’s $165/mo. less than what the first dealer quoted me and that’s without audicare, a down payment or MSDs, so a few days of shopping definitely made a difference.

I could have probably gotten the price down more too, but I wanted a premium plus with B&O upgrade in one of 3 - 4 color combos so that limited the options a bit, especially since many dealerships in this area don’t have more than a few in stock yet. Out of the 3 dealerships who were lowest in pricing, the other two said “take that deal, we can’t beat it” after hearing the numbers, so while it’s a not a great deal, I can live with it at the end of the day. I’ve been driving it for the past few days and it’s a nice upgrade over my 2016 A4. I can also say I’m happier with it than I would have been with a MB or BMW, although like the posters said above, that could be the way to go these days for others who are less picky.

1 Like

That deal sounds solid to me given where my post-shopping-around expectations have been calibrated for Audi. I’m about to pull the trigger on something similar (no B&O sound).

If anyone out there finds a way to break through to 3-Series BMW-type parameters with the 2019 A4 then let us know (or don’t, so we don’t feel bad :smiley:) but until then, at least outside the unique NY/LA markets, ~50% residual and ~100 MF seem to be the norm for a good deal. The OP however can definitely do better than what was originally posted–low/mid-500s with zero down should be achievable.

1 Like

With the A4, the biggest issue is the poor residual value. 50% RV for 36/12 stinks, and it seems to have gone down from this point at the start of the 2018 model year as well. Compared to the 3-series, the RV of the A4 is going to hurt. The money factor and incentives for the A4 are pretty decent though. I’m showing a MF of .00056 and incentives of $2250 to $3750, depending on your region. Seriously, Edmunds is an awesome resource to make sure you’re getting the base numbers. It’s helped with my last two leases. https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/53726/audi/a4/2019-audi-a4-lease-deals-and-prices
So, the only way you’re going to get a better deal is through a steep dealer discount. Even with 13% off MSRP, an A4 with my options (about $52,000) is about $600 with zero down. If you can go without the B&O and a few other options, you could be in the mid to high $500s for a base premium plus. You’ll probably still be more than a similarly equipped 3-series, but that’s as good as you’ll get on the A4. I suspect if you wait till the summer, Audi will release a Summer of Audi value package much like they did last year, which would lease for low $500s. And my two cents, the base A4 stereo is more than adequate. I just had to have the B&O and 19” wheels since I didn’t have them on my Audi two cars ago.

1 Like

The MF seems to vary wildly by region. I couldn’t get anyone to go below .00097, not even with MSDs. I’m not going to wait that long, but it’ll be interesting to see if Summer of Audi has better deals than Season of Audi.