2018 VW Tiguan SEL Premium - First time lease, but know there are some deals out there

Hi everyone,

I am new to this leasing stuff and have only purchased 10+ yo cars in the past, but like the features on newer cars. The SEL-P has the lane assist and ACC that can help in traffic (There is also some tweaks with the software that can enable lane assist down to 0mph, and change to lane centering vs bouncing off the lines)

Anyways, I see a LOT of Tiguan’s sitting in VW lots in my area (Norcal - Bay Area) and know they are willing to make a deal on the 2018s to move on to the 2019s, so I have been shopping around prices.

In general I am seeing many similar numbers:

MSRP: 39,300
Sales Price: 31,500
MF: .00150

Drive off (including acquisition, document fee, registration, a small deposit): 3000
sales tax 8.75%
Miles:12,000
36 months

residual 52%

Best monthly payment $296 taxes included
with maintenance and wear and tear (10K of damage covered) included into the monthly +$55, so 351 all together.

Does this sound pretty good? I have heard VWs lease terribly, but this does not sound too bad.

I have gotten ~$350-450 from other dealers, but without maintenance and wear and tear.

Also I was thinking I may look into the option to possibly swap to a 2019 Golf Sportwagon lease in a year or so, is there any tricks to something like that? It is a dumb idea to even think about?

That’s a good deal. Absolutely do not put money down - roll all that $3k into the monthly - and do not waste money on maintenance and especially wear and tear, which is a huge rip off unless maybe you live in NYC. And read the terms! It covers $10k of total damage, but only $1k per instance. So that scratch that costs $1,001 to fix? Not covered.

There are no tricks to “swapping” to a Golf Wagon. If you want a Golf Wagon (that lease is going to be ugly, like more than my Audi), don’t get a Tiguan.

1 Like

If you’re not 100% sure about the vehicle don’t commit yet. Most leases you’ll be underwater for at least 2 years so you’re going to take a big financial hit if you want to get out of this deal after only a year. Another thing to factor in is with VW/Audi you will still retain ultimate responsibility if you pass the lease on to someone else so your only safe option getting out of the lease early is to trade it in or sell privately.

Test drive the Golf and compare the numbers, that way you can compare all the pros/cons and what you want more.

1 Like

Former and current VW lessee here…If you lease a VW, don’t expect to get out of it in year 1 or so, as you really can’t swap them (you’d be foolish to do so and have some complete stranger drive around with a car that’s still under your name until the lease term expires). So, plan on riding it out the full term, unless you get a favorable deal from your dealer to do a pull-ahead a few months before the term ends.

2 Likes

I have a 2018 Sportwagen and like it very much, but why do you think you might want to change to one in a yr? Is it b/c more active safety tech is available on the 2019?

Agree w/ others that maintenance and wear and tear is probably a waste of $.

Thanks for the info the how the wear and tear works, very informative. I live outside San Francisco, and I do sometimes head to the city which can cause some damage to cars - which is why I am interested in the protection. As well, I have a dog.
Really that bad for the Golf Wagon? I definitely would rather take on an Audi lease if that was the case.

The 2019 Sportwagen will have the 1.4l and 8 speed transmission, bringing MPG to 30/40. Also they will have the digital cockpit and all the safety tech with lane assistance and ACC. And have the cargo room of a Q5. Seems to fit my needs well across the board.

I was in the market for a Tiguan as well until I did a simple Google search and saw that it’s one of the most unreliable vehicles out there.

You may want to look for another lease deal.

8,000 miles on my 2018 Tiguan S, zero issues so far. It’s actually a great vehicle with alot of standard tech.

I have heard issues about the 2.0t ea888 when they used it early on in the 2009 A4, but thought they had all the issues ironed out. I am not too concerned about the lack of acceleration as I am not a fast driver.

Where did you read about the Golf Sportwagen getting the digital cockpit? I looked at the order guide and see no mention of it. I thought the S was getting most of the safety tech standard, but it looks like it’ll be in an option package. If you’re getting the SE, not sure how well those will lease, so might be worth thinking about financing, instead.

Not sure if you need/want an AWD car, but just remember that only 2WD versions get the new engine/gearbox combo.

https://media.vw.com/en-us/releases/1075/

“The 2019 Golf SportWagen is available in three trims—S, S 4Motion, and SE. For front-wheel-drive models, the 1.8T engine is replaced by the same 1.4T, 147hp powertrain found in the all-new 2019 Jetta. The S 4Motion retains the 1.8T engine. The 1.4T is paired with either a six-speed manual or an eight-speed automatic transmission, while the 1.8T is available with either a six-speed manual or a six-speed DSG® automatic transmission.”

It seems they will likely phase them out, so early 2019 with the 1.4T will have the 6-speed, then use the same 8-speed as the Tiguan, pumping up the MPGs significantly now they can’t use TDIs. The 4motion will only used the 1.8t and 6-speed, but this may change by 2020.

I have not seen any 2019 Golf Sportwagons in my area, but if the Jetta is any indication they will have all the safety and accoutrements of the Jetta (incl. digital dash, etc). I think it will take some time to release these, so I was thinking of starting with the Tiguan during the winter, then moving to the Sportwagon in the summer. But the Bay Area does not really need AWD.

Nothing in the link you provided contradicts what I’ve written.

The annual order guides normally state if certain features or options will have delayed availability. There is nothing in the dealer guides to suggest delayed availability of the virtual cockpit for any 2019 Sportwagen.

Ha, yup, you are right. I think I was just trying to convince myself that they were introducing the new engine and trans into 2019. Nothing about the virtual cockpit. But I imagine since the Jetta has them it may be an option?

They ARE introducing the engine and transmission for 2019, but only in the 2WD models (which is the one you said you were interested in). I imagine the virtual cockpit won’t be available until the Mk VIII version (a few yrs from now).

The Jetta is a North America-only sedan, built on the same basic platform, but still very different. It’s no longer just a Golf sedan like it used to be.

Thank you all for the help understanding the lease rules and stipulations. I like the advice on not committing yet if I am not all in, and I am not quite convinced on the Tiguan.

I have decided there is not a perfect vehicle for me to sink 3 years into yet, so I have decided to pick up a used 2009 Audi A4 Avant (EXACT same engine as the Tiguan) and put some miles on that for a few years and visit the lease again in the future.

You sure you want to drive a 10 year old Audi? Sounds expensive

2 Likes

this is a solid deal. i have seen a passat leasing with similar #s
MSRP: 31000
Closing Price: 24000
MF: .00136, 36 months
DAS: ~1800 (all the fees combined)
monthly pay: ~$280

That was heck of a deal. I just bought 2018 Tiguan SEL Premium at 32,700 and thought I had a deal. :slight_smile: This is Seattle market.