2018 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport AWD vs 2018 Audi A4 Premium Plus

Hey–

I am returning my Infiniti Q40 from lease (I can return it any time between now and 9/10), and I’m trying to figure out what to get next. I work for a leasing company that owns several dealerships, so I get really good pricing for the dealerships my company owns.

Anyway, initially I decided I wasn’t going to take Infiniti up on their $6,200 loyalty bonus because I was set on an Audi. Now, I’m not so sure. I drove the A4 twice. It’s really good, but a little boring.

I also drove a Stinger and a GTI, but neither leases well, plus I would have to pay regular prices.

So I can get a 2018 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport AWD (msrp 57k) or an Audi A4 Premium Plus (msrp 50k) for the same price.

I only drive 9,000-10,000 miles a year, so the fuel economy is a concern, but not the biggest one. The Audi will save me $20-30 a month on gas.

The Infiniti jacked up my insurance premium by ~$75, however. I can make tweaks to lower my premium (and decrease the cost of my coverage), but I’d rather avoid that if possible.

I’ve gotten other quotes on both cars externally, and what I’m getting through my company is much better.

So, which would you lease? I’ll save $60-100 a month going with the Audi. Audi is covering the first month’s rent, so it will offset Infiniti’s waiver of my $400 lease turn-in fee.

I slightly prefer the Infiniti, but not sure if the higher insurance and gas costs are worth it.

Suggestions?

Why are you comparing to the red sport? The A4 does not come close to that in performance. So you could step down to the 3.0T and see how that compares financially.

Because the Red Sport is the only Infiniti I’d be excited about leasing. Unfortunately, I live in New Jersey, the land of high property taxes and car insurance.

I just ran the insurance quote for a 3.0 Sport and it was even more than the Red Sport. The quote for the 3.0 Sport is $96 more a month than my Q40, and the Red Sport is $73 more. I guess the Red Sport has some extra driver assist features that help bring the cost down. I

The A4 is only $16 more a month expensive to insure.

I’m sure my payment would be lower on the 3.0 Sport, but that insurance bill on a non-performance model would be tough to swallow.

If you are excited by an A4, then it seems the logical choice.

What are the numbers on the leases?

People here often get lost in the value of the deal. You’re looking at leasing cars you can’t transfer so make sure you like what you get.

2 Likes

I’m looking at really, really good pricing.

Red Sport AWD 57,550 msrp with Sensory Package: $1000 down, 10k a year, for 39 months: $449. This includes lease cash, loyalty bonus (~6200), plus an employee discount. The closest any other dealer around here could get to that was $488.

For the Audi A4 Premium Plus, msrp of 50,290, with $1,000 down at 10k a year and 36 months, the payment would be $448. This is a non-Summer of Audi special. Still waiting on the quote for one of those. That should be about $430.

And good point about not getting too fixated on the value of the deal. I understand I wouldn’t be able to get out of these leases. I know both companies have the dumb rule of requiring the original lessor remain responsible for the lease, even if they’re transferred.

One thing to consider is that these deals are so good (and the MF is so low on the Infiniti at .00038), is that I’ll probably have equity in either of these at some point after 24 months.

I know it’s a big decision, and I want to be sure I make the right one.

I like the A4. I drove it twice. It’s a really good car that’s pretty quick with awesome tech and a very nice interior. Just not sure I love it.

I love the Red Sport’s speed and its looks. The interior is decent, but obviously not as good as the Audi’s. It’s a big step up from my Q40, which is really just a 2013 G37x, and is indistinguishable from a 2008 G35’s.

he is comparing it because payment wise it is closer than an S4 would be. if you like the a4 build quality but want some more fun think @Deal_Hacker should go for the S4

1 Like

I love the S4, but that’s definitely out of my price range. I’m waiting on a quote for an S3, which still might be out of reach, mostly due to the poor residual. The S3 is small, but I don’t have kids and don’t need a huge backseat. The backseat on that thing is hardly usable. The residuals on those are much worse (46/47% vs 53% on the A4 right now). And that is an apples to apples comparison on two Premium Plus models that msrp for 48k.

I’m setting a hard cap of $450 for my payments especially since my insurance is going up.

I get it. But it is a compromise. If performance is a concern for me (and it is), I’m not considering an A4 because I wouldn’t be happy with it after a couple of months (if that). Likewise, if interior quality was a concern and I felt the Infiniti didn’t satisfy me, I’m looking elsewhere. So maybe neither vehicle is the right choice for the OP. Hopefully an S3 fits the bill.

S3 will probably be the near an S4 in price

The Q50 Red Sport deal you mentioned doesn’t sound that great given you have a large amount of loyalty bonus and employee discount. Back in April I had a sales guy offering me a Q60 Red Sport with no negotiation (I was just there to test drive) for $511p/m with $1250 down and that’s with Texas taxes (6.25% on total value). I didn’t take it any further as it was extremely dull to drive.

Have you test driven the Giulia? It’s probably the best of both worlds as it’s sportier than the A4, and while slower than the Q50 Red Sport I’d imagine it’s far more engaging (based off the Q60 Red Sport). The 2018 Giulia also has carplay/android auto which would mean you can get a better infotainment experience.

I don’t think this Infiniti interior is terrible. It’s definitely a big step up from what I have now. It’s good, but not great. Everything about it is good except for the infotainment system. I love the seats on my G37/Q40, and these seem to be just as good. It also has a premium stereo and any creature comforts I need.

That just happens to be one area that I think Audi just knocked it out of the park.

I’ve heard about those crazy deals people were getting in TX. We’re not getting deals nearly as good in the Philly area. I had two other dealers run the numbers. I gave both my loyalty code to factor into the quote. One came back with $572 a month with $2620 down. Lmao!!! The other offer was a more reasonable $488 a month with $1,000 down.

The Giulia is intriguing, but I haven’t driven it. I know good deals can be had. I should probably drive one before I decide.

Yeah maybe they were overstocked here perhaps and trying to clear inventory, I was surprised he gave so much off with no negotiation.

I’d definitely test drive the Giulia as deals can be had in the budget you mentioned and it’s a good car.

did you check Faulkner?

Just spoke to a dealer. I’m going to drive one on Monday.

It sounds like they are motivated to move the Giulia over here. From the jump the dealer told me they’re selling them for $1500 under invoice for TrueCar customers. Sounds like they’re not selling as well as expected around here.

Looks like a good deal can be had on one of these. I would just need to include the maintenance service. I still don’t trust Fiats as far as reliability is concerned.

No, I might ask them to run the numbers too.